Slotkin announces proposed "Shutdown to End All Shutdowns" legislation

<p>Slotkin in Washington talking about her new legislation. Courtesy of U.S. House of Representatives. </p>

Slotkin in Washington talking about her new legislation. Courtesy of U.S. House of Representatives.

With the possibility of another federal government shutdown on Feb. 15 if Congressional Democrats refuse to fund President Donald Trump's border wall, Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Michigan, along with other freshman members of Congress announced the “Shutdown to End All Shutdowns Act,” or “SEAS.”

A press release described the legislation as “a bill aimed at protecting federal employees from being used as pawns in future political negotiations by transferring the financial hardship of shutdowns to the Executive Branch and Members of Congress.”

It would ensure the federal government continues working on an “automatic continuing resolution” as long the president and Congress are at odds.

At a press conference yesterday afternoon in Washington, D.C., Slotkin, Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, D-Pennsylvania, Rep. Colin Allred, D-Texas and Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minnesota, led 10 other freshman members of the House in giving statements of support for the bill. 

“If Congress and the President can’t agree on spending, the burden shouldn’t fall on federal workers and their families — it should fall on leaders in Washington,” Slotkin said in a statement. 

Slotkin made headlines during the historic 35-day government shutdown when she publicly donated her paycheck.

“As a former federal worker for 14 years, I’m proud to be introducing a bill that ensures federal workers aren’t held hostage by stalled negotiations and puts real skin in the game for members of Congress and the President if they can’t do their jobs,” she said.

SEAS, if implemented, would call for daily quorums and prohibit federal funds for members’ travel, as well as suspend members’ pay without escrow.

“Back home in Texas I heard from all kinds of people and the message was the same — enough is enough,” said Allred. “Shutdown politics are nothing more than petty brinkmanship and serve only to take us backward.”

The executive branch would also face significant penalties under SEAS — including an apparent dig at Trump, who has frequently visited golf courses since being inaugurated.

Federal funds for the branch and the Cabinet would be frozen except in cases of "national security, natural disaster or national emergency." The use of federal funds would also be prohibited for executive branch bonuses, receptions, entertainment, exercise facilities and golf courses during a shutdown.”

The Congressional Budget Office announced Monday that the recently ended government shutdown cost the U.S. $11 billion.

Share and discuss “Slotkin announces proposed "Shutdown to End All Shutdowns" legislation” on social media.