MSU Soccer players selected in day one of MLS draft

Freshman forward Farai Matuta (9) settles the ball during the game against Akron on Dec. 7, 2018 at Harder Stadium. The Spartans trail the Zips 2-0 at halftime.
Freshman forward Farai Matuta (9) settles the ball during the game against Akron on Dec. 7, 2018 at Harder Stadium. The Spartans trail the Zips 2-0 at halftime. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

Three Michigan State soccer players were selected in the first two rounds of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft. DeJuan Jones, Ryan Sierakowski and Jimmy Hague will be continuing their soccer careers in the pros after MSU’s historic semi-final run in the NCAA College Cup.

Jones and Sierakowski are the first two Spartans to ever be drafted in the first round of the draft. 

The three players help lead their team to the Final Four of the College Cup but loss to Akron 5-1 in the tournament. 

DeJuan Jones, Pick No. 11 (New England Revolution), Midfielder.

Jones, a Lansing native, was the first to be selected off the Spartan’s roster and will be headed to the New England Revolution (10-13-11).

In both 2017 and 2018 he earned second-team All-Big Ten honors. Last season Jones scored five goals and five assists, and through his MSU career he totaled 16 goals and accumulated 46 points. He lead the team third overall in points this past season.

Ryan Sierakowski, Pick No. 23 (Portland Timbers), Forward.

Sierakowski, from McHenry, IL, ends his Spartan career for Portland (15-10-9). 

He led the Spartans in scoring last season, scoring eight goals off 21 shots on goal.  He earned second team All-Big Ten honors in 2017 and 2018, and earned first team honors in 2016. Sierakowski finished with 33 goals through his career for MSU.

Jimmy Hague, Pick No. 30 (FC Cincinnati), Goalkeeper.

Hague, from Walled Lake, MI, started as MSU’s goalkeeper since 2016 and leaves for FC Cincinnati (expansion). He will join former Spartan Fatai Alashe. 

He earned second team All-Big Ten honors in 2016 and 2018, and earned first team All-Big Ten honors in 2017. Hague recorded 81 saves last season and 196 total saves for the Spartans. He ended the 2018 season starting in every game and made nine shutouts. 

Rounds three and four begin Monday, Jan. 14 at 1 p.m via conference call.

Share and discuss “MSU Soccer players selected in day one of MLS draft” on social media.