Lansing delays second phase of medical marijuana dispensary licensure

<p>Sophomore and secondary education major Lucas smokes a bong on Sept. 16, 2015 in his Clippert Street apartment in Lansing. Lucas has a license to use medical marijuana and smokes to alleviate pain associated with scoliosis. Catherine Ferland/The State News</p>

Sophomore and secondary education major Lucas smokes a bong on Sept. 16, 2015 in his Clippert Street apartment in Lansing. Lucas has a license to use medical marijuana and smokes to alleviate pain associated with scoliosis. Catherine Ferland/The State News

Lansing City Clerk Chris Swope has delayed the start of the second phase of accepting medical marijuana provisioning center applications "until further notice," according to a press release from the clerk's office.

He wants to ensure the first phase review, appeal and approval processes are not delayed, the press release said. If all applicants whom Swope denied choose to partake in the two-step appeal process,  Phase 1 will extend into late March.

Swope said he believes delaying the start of Phase 2 is the "quickest way to have more provisioning centers open and millions in economic development initiated" and trying to initiate both Phase 1 and Phase 2 at the same time would "create a multitude of legal and logistical challenges."

The medical marijuana ordinance gives Swope the authority to "adjust the implementation and distribution of Phase 2 to select up to five additional provisioning center licenses," the release said.

Swope conditionally approved two more provisioning center applications as of Jan. 4, bringing the total number of applications to 13 out of the 20 allowed under the first phase of the ordinance.

The city has also issued two grow licenses to Green Peak Industries and a secure transport license to Capital Transport, which have all been approved by the state of Michigan.

"At the end of this process, the goal is to have 25 operating provisioning centers which will provide the best service to their patients and safety to our neighborhoods, while employing workers at a fair wage and bringing an influx of long-term investment to Lansing," Swope said. 

Applications for licenses for every business type besides provisioning centers are still being accepted, according to Swope.

Share and discuss “Lansing delays second phase of medical marijuana dispensary licensure” on social media.