Ingham County now offers text-to-911 services

A police car parked outside of 54-B District Court in East Lansing.

The Ingham County 911 Central Dispatch will provide text-to-911 services to all individuals living in or traveling through Ingham County starting today, Jan. 16.

"Text-to-911 serves as another means of contacting a 911 dispatcher in an emergency situation when a caller is unable to make a voice call," a press release from the dispatch center reads. 

The center emphasized that those in danger should "call 911 when you can, and text when you can't." Text-to-911 serves as a tool for the hearing-impaired.

This feature requires a text or data plan to use.

Ingham County is one of 46 Michigan counties to offer text-to-911 service, including nearby Eaton and Ionia counties, according to the state 911 Administrator's Office. If the service is not available in your area, you will recieve a message indicating that it is not available.

To receive assistance, you must:

• Enter the numbers "911" in the "to:" field.
  • Send a brief message containing the location and the type of help requested, using simple words and no abbreviations.
  • Be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions.

The service notifies you when the 911 dispatcher has ended the call.

"We think that it's an overdue and needed resource for our hearing-impaired community, as well as those people that are in a position where a police call might not be safe to make," Ingham County 911 systems manager Bruce Gaukel said.

Share and discuss “Ingham County now offers text-to-911 services” on social media.