Halfway to Chicago: Big Ten Power Rankings

Junior guard Cassius Winston (5) drives on Purdue's Nojel Eastern at Mackey Arena on Jan. 27, 2019. The Spartans fell to the Boilermakers 73-63.
Junior guard Cassius Winston (5) drives on Purdue's Nojel Eastern at Mackey Arena on Jan. 27, 2019. The Spartans fell to the Boilermakers 73-63. —
Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

The NCAA uses a computerized ranking system to evaluate teams. It is referred to as NET in this article. The numbers in parentheses behind best win and worst loss are NET rankings. Throughout the rankings the * denotes a game played at a neutral site. The “best win” and “worst loss” listed are the opinion of the reporter and take into account the date and location of the game.

1. Michigan 

Record: 20-1
Big Ten record: 9-1

NET: 4
Best Win: @ Villanova (22)
Worst Loss: @ Wisconsin (12)

Michigan has been perhaps the biggest surprise in the country this season. John Beilein’s reinvention as a master of defense, and the emergence of freshman forward Ignas Bradzeikis, have been the standout stories. The Wolverines’ demolition of defending national champion Villanova in Philadelphia stands out as perhaps the most impressive victory in the nation. In addition, redshirt junior guard Charles Matthews and junior point guard Zavier Simpson are two of the best defensive players in the Big Ten.

2. Michigan State

Record: 18-3

Big Ten record: 9-1 

NET: 6  

Best Win: @ Iowa (27) 

Worst Loss: vs Kansas* (20)

Michigan State has dealt well with the losses of their two lottery picks from last season’s team, and junior point guard Cassius Winston is the reason why. He has been masterful in building a compelling Big Ten Player of the Year case. The loss of junior guard Joshua Langford to a left foot injury could be the Spartans’ downfall, as he provides an important scoring punch. The Spartans are one of the top assisting teams in the country.

3. Purdue

Record: 14-6
Big Ten record: 7-2
NET: 11
Best Win: vs Michigan State (6)

Worst Loss: vs Notre Dame* (95)

Though junior guard Carsen Edwards would be the story on most teams, Purdue’s biggest victory, over Michigan State, came because of the strength of their bench. This, and the fact that the Boilermakers have replaced four starters speaks to how good head coach Matt Painter is. He may be the most underrated coach in the country. Sophomore guard Nojel Eastern is a future star, and freshman center Trevion Williams is one of the most physical players in the conference.

190108-msuvspurduebball115-nwa

4. Wisconsin

Record: 15-6
Big Ten record: 7-3
NET: 14
Best Win: vs Michigan (4)
Worst Loss: @ Western Kentucky (129)

Senior forward Ethan Happ has been there, done that. He is probably going to win Big Ten Player of the Year, and as we saw in thier victory over Michigan, when they play their tempo, and sophomore guard Brad Davison is making shots, they are a difficult out for anyone. This Badgers team is starting to resemble the best of the Bo Ryan era, a great tribute to Greg Gard.

5. Maryland

Record: 17-5
Big Ten record: 8-3
NET: 22
Best Win: vs Wisconsin (12)
Worst Loss: vs Illinois* (113)

Maryland is going to be good, but right now, the Terrapins are one of the youngest teams in college basketball. Junior guard Anthony Cowan Jr. and sophomore center Bruno Fernando are two future professional players, but Mark Turgeon’s performance- and maybe job- will depend on the development of their freshmen, such as forward Jalen Smith and guard Eric Ayala.

6. Iowa

Record: 16-5
Big Ten record: 5-5
NET: 27
Best Win: vs Nebraska (28)
Worst Loss: @ Minnesota (50)

The Hawkeyes shoot a ton of threes, and when they are going in, look out. The big men, junior Tyler Cook and sophomore Luka Garza, are talented offensive players. Fran McCaffery loves freshman Joe Wieskamp, who has the tools to become an all-conference player in the future

amb-01242019-iowa-11

7. Nebraska

Record: 13-8
Big Ten record: 3-7
NET: 28
Best Win: @ Clemson (54)
Worst Loss: @ Rutgers (125)

Nebraska has slightly underachieved, and the loss of senior forward Isaac Copeland Jr. to a knee injury for the rest of the year is a killer. The guard duo of seniors Glynn Watson Jr. and James Palmer Jr. will carry the Cornhuskers to some wins, but this team may never reach their ceiling.

8. Minnesota

Record: 15-5
Big Ten record: 5-4
NET: 50
Best Win: vs Iowa (27)
Worst Loss: @ Illinois (113)

Junior point guard Amir Coffey has always been touted as a star player, and he’s been good this year, but not enough to cause much of a stir. The Golden Gophers’ best performance of the season came in a loss at Michigan, where senior forward Jordan Murphy played excellent. Richard Pitino might have to pull a rabbit out of his hat for this program to move forward.

9. Ohio State

Record: 13-7
Big Ten record: 3-6
NET: 38
Best Win: @ Nebraska (28)
Worst Loss: @ Rutgers (125)

Chris Holtmann was never expected to replicate the magic ride of his first season as Buckeyes head coach, but even so, this season has been disappointing. Sophomore forward Kaleb Wesson is a good player with a pro body, but he hasn’t had enough help for this team to be an impactful one in conference.

10. Rutgers

Record: 10-9
Big Ten record: 3-6
NET: 125
Best Win: vs Nebraska (28)
Worst Loss: @ Fordham (245)

While it might not be saying much, this is the best Rutgers team in recent memory. Sophomore guard Geo Baker is fearless, and junior forward Eugene Omoruyi’s return from a nasty-looking knee injury is propelling the Scarlet Knights to an outside chance at a tournament berth.

11. Indiana

Record: 12-8
Big Ten record: 3-6
NET: 44
Best Win: vs Louisville (13)
Worst Loss: @ Northwestern (59)

This is the most disappointing team in the conference. After a really bright start, Archie Miller’s second season has turned dramatically. Freshman folk hero Romeo Langford has been held in check, and the Hoosiers haven’t been the same since conference play started. They may well make the tournament, but something will have to change.

12. Illinois

Record: 6-14
Big Ten record: 2-7
NET: 113
Best Win: vs Maryland* (21)
Worst Loss: vs FAU (175)

Illinois is a strange team. They’re incredibly young, with freshman guard Ayo Dosunmu and sophomore guard Trent Frazier leading the team. Though they’ve lost a lot of games-most by big margins-they’ve also beaten Maryland and hung with Gonzaga on neutral courts. The Fighting Illini’s best days are ahead of them under Brad Underwood.

13. Northwestern

Record: 12-9
Big Ten record: 3-7
NET: 59
Best Win: @ Rutgers (125)
Worst Loss: vs Fresno State* (82)

Coach Chris Collins is going to have to start over. Senior bigs Dererk Pardon and Vic Law are remnants of the team that made the tournament two years ago, but the rest of the team is young and not especially talented. The Wildcats could rise again in the brand-new Welsh-Ryan Arena, but it’s not going to be this year.

amb-1-2bball-7

14. Penn State

Record: 7-13
Big Ten record: 0-9
NET: 86
Best Win: vs Virginia Tech (10)
Worst Loss: vs Bradley* (219)

This Penn State team is a mess. The Nittany Lions might miss former guard Tony Carr more than they miss Saquon Barkley. Not only has the team been bad, they’ve been embarrassing, with coach Pat Chambers shoving freshman Myles Dread late in a loss at Michigan. Junior forward Lamar Stevens is a decent player, but this team often looks disinterested in what could be Chambers’ last season in State College. 

Share and discuss “Halfway to Chicago: Big Ten Power Rankings” on social media.