Looking to donate for the holidays? Try these organizations

<p><strong>Illustration by Lauren Gewirtz.</strong></p>

Illustration by Lauren Gewirtz.

'Tis the season to be jolly, give thanks and give back to community.  Residents of the Lansing area can make others' holidays merry and bright by donating time and materials to people in need.

Whether you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket — or your pocket is feeling on the lighter side — there are numerous different ways to donate to those in need over the holidays.

Toys for Tots

For more than 70 years, Toys for Tots has aimed to brighten the holidays for families. Now through Dec. 12, donations of new, unwrapped toys can be made to various collection bins in East Lansing.  For a full list of drop-off locations, visit the city of East Lansing's website

Hope For The Holidays

Local to Lansing, Child and Family Charities is accepting donations for their Hope for the Holidays through Dec. 15. This organization helps give to children and youth in foster care and to families in need of support.  

Donations can be dropped off at the Lansing office at 4287 Five Oaks Drive. For more information about tree tags or youth and family wish lists, email CFCevents@childandfamily.org.

“Be An Angel” Holiday Giving Campaign 

If you’ve seen a decorated tree at your local mall and wondered what the tree tags said, they are part of St. Vincent Catholic Charities “Be An Angel” Holiday Giving Campaign.  Sponsored by Two Men and A Truck, this drive encourages community members to pick a tag off a tree and donate a specific item for a child or family to receive as a gift for the holidays.  

Holiday Giving Trees can be found at the Lansing Mall, Meridian Mall and at participating stores in the Eastwood Towne Center.

Greater Lansing Food Bank

A local organization that collects and supplies food to Lansing families, the Greater Lansing Food Bank is open for donations Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Volunteer opportunities are also available for ages 14 and older to work on various projects, depending on the day and time of year. 

Haven House

Since 1983, Haven House of Lansing has been providing emergency housing, meals, counseling and other short-term or long-term support services for people in need. 

This holiday season, donating items picked from their Urgent Needs list could go a long way in helping a child or families trying to get to achieve self-sufficiency and stability.  Haven House is open for dropping off donations every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

Refugee Development Center 

The Refugee Development Center in Lansing offers a variety of learning opportunities for people of all ages and language speaking abilities.  The center is currently in need of donations to assist the people they serve. Take a look at their wish list online or call (517) 999-5090 to set up an appointment to donate items in person.  

Share and discuss “Looking to donate for the holidays? Try these organizations” on social media.