Sentence for Larry Nassar to be reviewed by court

Nassar’s attorneys Jacqueline McCann, left, and Malaika Ramsey-Heath, right, listen to Judge Rosemarie Aquilina in court on Aug. 27, 2018 at Ingham County Circuit Court. McCann and Ramsey-Heath filed an appeal to have Aquilina removed.
Nassar’s attorneys Jacqueline McCann, left, and Malaika Ramsey-Heath, right, listen to Judge Rosemarie Aquilina in court on Aug. 27, 2018 at Ingham County Circuit Court. McCann and Ramsey-Heath filed an appeal to have Aquilina removed. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The Michigan Court of Appeals will review the Ingham County sentencing appeal of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

Nassar's lawyers' request for resentencing was denied in August.

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced Nassar to 40 to 175 years in prison in January after he pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual misconduct, following seven days of victim impact statements. 

Nassar is serving an additional 60-year federal sentence on child pornography charges.

The two issues up for review in the appeal to the sentence concerning bias on behalf of Aquilina, according to The Detroit News.

The first issue addresses whether or not Aquilina should have had the authority to dismiss in the motion for resentencing in August, according to The Detroit News. The second issue revisits Nassar's attorneys' claims that Aquilina was biased during sentencing.

Share and discuss “Sentence for Larry Nassar to be reviewed by court” on social media.