New MSU research center to open near campus with aim of focusing on natural resource issues

Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

A new research facility through MSU AgBioResearch with the aim to focus on natural resource issues will officially open this Wednesday. 

This off-campus facility, the Corey Marsh Ecological Research Center, or CMERC, is the 14th AgBioResearch center in Michigan and will open outside Laingsburg, a press release said. 

“Having places for research that are close to campus is great for both students and the community,” Associate Fisheries and Wildlife Professor Jen Owen, who has been named the CMERC center coordinator, said in the press release. 

Owen and the CMERC team are "carrying forward the land-grant mission on which MSU was built." Aiming to create new tools and resources, the press release said the long-term studies being conducted will offer many opportunities for the community to participate in natural resources research. 

This includes providing MSU students with research opportunities that are close to campus. 

“It’s important for undergraduates in our department to get out and do research in the field,” MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club President Mallory Verch said in the press release. “If this is what we’re thinking about doing for the rest of our lives, we need to start building our experience now. This is going to help all of us kick-start our careers.”

The CMERC will be located near Owen's bird banding station, where she and a team of researchers conduct studies on bird migration. She proposed this new research center based on her experiences at the bird banding station, and wants it to not only be close to the university, but accessible to visitors. 

“Under (Owen's) leadership and vision, this property went from an unused asset to an opportunity to advance our mission,” Doug Buhler, director of MSU AgBioResearch, said in the press release. “This center will strengthen our natural resources work while helping us reach out to new and diverse audiences. This is a case where, in helping further her vision, we were able to make a significant advance for the good of AgBioResearch and MSU as a whole.”

Share and discuss “New MSU research center to open near campus with aim of focusing on natural resource issues” on social media.