Friday, July 5, 2024

MSU releases statement in response to proposed Title IX rule changes

Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.

Following the proposed Title IX rules announced by the U.S. Department of Education on Nov. 16, MSU released a statement in response to these changes, which could affect how universities investigate on-campus sexual assaults.  

According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, these regulations proposed by U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos would give students accused of sexual misconduct more protection and reduce liability faced by colleges investigating complaints.

MSU is currently reviewing these proposed Title IX regulations.

"MSU is committed to student safety, which includes the prevention of sexual assaults and misconduct as well as how these situations are investigated," the statement from MSU Spokesperson Emily Guerrant said. 

The university is also reviewing the recent opinions of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, which, according to Inside Higher Ed, state that "universities must allow students in these cases, or their representatives, to directly question their accuser in a live hearing." This is also echoed in the U.S. Department of Education's proposed Title IX rules. 

MSU's handling of reports of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse is still under investigation, and survivors of his abuse have expressed concern about the effects of these proposed changes. 

These proposed Title IX regulations have now entered a 60-day comment period, and if adopted, changes won't go into effect until 2020. 

Share and discuss “MSU releases statement in response to proposed Title IX rule changes ” on social media.