MSU appoints new vice president and strategic director of university communications

Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Merri Jo Bales, a former executive director at Consumers Energy, is joining MSU as vice president and strategic director of university communications, according to a university press release.

The appointment of Bales came in light of the university’s changing communications needs, Executive Vice President for Government and External Relations Kathleen Wilbur said in the press release. Over the course of six months, Wilbur developed a new strategic approach to communications.

“Merri Jo will be an outstanding addition to the improved communication programs we are building at MSU,” Wilbur said in the press release. “Her extensive career experience, especially her time at Consumers Energy and her work consulting with leaders around our state, will help us improve our university communications systems. The communications needs of the university today are different than the needs we’ll have tomorrow, and I have great confidence that she will deliver strong results showcasing our Spartan leadership.”

Current university spokesperson Emily Guerrant and Vice President of Communications and Brand Strategy Heather Swain will report to Bales as she oversees various university communications. 

The press release said Bales will start at her position Nov. 28. However, her position is pending approval from the MSU Board of Trustees at their Dec. 14 meeting.

Bales spent 27 years with Consumers Energy, working with the chief executive officer and other senior officers and managing executive communications as the executive director of strategy development, communication and integration.

A recipient of the Outstanding Alumni Award in 2009 from the MSU College of Communication Arts and Sciences, Bales has also held positions on the MSU Alumni Association International Board and the Communication Arts and Sciences Alumni Board.

Bales has deep roots working in-state, holding positions such as executive director of the Michigan Sesquicentennial, where she helped plan the statewide celebration of 150 years of statehood, and various roles at the Michigan Council for the Humanities, according to the press release.

Share and discuss “MSU appoints new vice president and strategic director of university communications” on social media.