Lewerke on QB situation: They should go with whoever gives us best chance to win

<p>Redshirt freshman quarterback Rocky Lombardi (12) looks down the offensive line during the game against Ohio State Nov. 10, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 26-6.</p>

Redshirt freshman quarterback Rocky Lombardi (12) looks down the offensive line during the game against Ohio State Nov. 10, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 26-6.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Towards the end of the second quarter of Saturday's game against No. 10 Ohio State, junior quarterback Brian Lewerke was taken out of the game and replaced by redshirt freshman quarterback Rocky Lombardi for the second week in a row. 

According to offensive coordinator Dave Warner, there is no continuous battle between the two quarterbacks, but there is also no single coach picking who starts. 

“I think you know with the quarterback situation that it's a staff decision.” Warner said after the OSU loss. “To be quite honest, I want to go back and look at film. That's the truth, the way to evaluate. I'm sort of locked into the things that are going on and after I get a chance to watch the film is when I can probably get a good evaluation.” 

Lewerke has played in nine of the 10 games so far this season, but has been replaced by Lombardi in four of those games. Although he started last week against Maryland, the veteran quarterback sat out the Purdue game two weeks ago and let Lombardi start to help nurse his shoulder injury that occurred against Penn State the week prior.

Lewerke — who's still nursing his injury — was aware he would get the start again Saturday against the Buckeyes, and felt his shoulder would be fine by the time the game rolled around. Once he got into the game, he said he felt nothing was going his way and suggested that Lombardi should replace him.

“It just didn't feel right — my arm,” said Lewerke, who has nine interceptions this season. “I was probably going to say that (Lombardi) should go in because he can throw the ball. His arm is a lot healthier and a lot better than mine right now.”

As for his backup, Lombardi went just 7-of-20 through the air on Saturday, and coughed up the ball twice with one occurring in his own end zone, which led to an Ohio State recovery and touchdown. The other was a poorly thrown option toss to running back La'Darius Jefferson, which set up the Buckeyes in MSU territory and eventually led to three points.

“I just felt like he had the pitch on the back shoulder of the tailback on the back option,” Coach Mark Dantonio said. “He had not hit some passes. He also had the fumble in the end zone where there was a miscommunication.”

Lombardi admitted he did not feel completely warmed up due to coming off the bench, but he said still wanted to do his best. 

“Whether I play well or I play terrible, regardless, there's always some things I can improve on and there's always some things I can learn from. This is no different from any other game,” Lombardi said.

As the season continues, the team states there are no quarterback problems within the locker room and they will focus on a new team motto of not putting the blame on one person. For Lewerke however, the thought of sitting out for the rest of the season to heal his shoulder came into play, but that ultimately wasn’t the option he wanted to go with.

“It’s crossed my mind,” Lewerke said. “I don’t want to give up on this team and if I feel like I can go — and honestly, at the beginning of every game, I feel like I can try and make the throws, and sometimes when I get out there it’s not happening.”

With the last two regular season games against Nebraska and Rutgers approaching, people will continue to wonder who will get the start from here on out: Lewerke or Lombardi?

Lewerke believes it should be whoever is playing better at the moment.

“I’m all for him,” Lewerke said. “He’s a great quarterback too. Whichever one, either me or him, that gives us the best chance to win I think they should go with.”

Share and discuss “Lewerke on QB situation: They should go with whoever gives us best chance to win” on social media.