Letter: Reclaim MSU responds to State News Board of Trustees endorsements

<p>Protesters gather at the Reclaim MSU Rally at the Hannah Administration Building on March 23, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News)</p>

Protesters gather at the Reclaim MSU Rally at the Hannah Administration Building on March 23, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News)

By Reclaim MSU and the MSU chapter of the Roosevelt Institute

As members of Reclaim MSU and the Roosevelt Institute at MSU, we are writing in response to The State News’ editorial endorsement of Briana Scott and Kelly Tebay for MSU Board of Trustees. Reclaim MSU does not endorse any candidate, but reached out to all the BOT (Board of Trustees) candidates. Scott and Tebay are the only nominees to endorse our proposal for shared governance and an open presidential search process. 

The State News Editorial Board claims that “Reclaim MSU’s call for a full-voting student representative requires an amendment to the state Constitution — far from a guarantee in today’s polarized Legislature.” We propose to amend the Constitution, but we also offer an alternative that could be implemented at the very next governing board meeting. 

First, the Trustees should form a University Board that includes eight Trustees alongside two faculty and two students with a voice and vote on matters other than those prohibited by Constitution. Second, the Board should write an open, inclusive presidential search process into their bylaws. 

Reclaim MSU and the Roosevelt Institute agree with The State News that university operations are "opaque and self-serving” and that MSU needs “immediate institutional change.” We believe that our policy proposal, endorsed by Briana Scott, Kelly Tebay and the MSU Faculty Senate, is the most effective way to meet this urgent need.

Share and discuss “Letter: Reclaim MSU responds to State News Board of Trustees endorsements” on social media.