Joe Bachie named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

<p>Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson (2) throws a pass as he's pursued by junior linebacker Joe Bachie (35) during the game at Spartan Stadium Oct. 20. The Wolverines defeated the Spartans, 21-7.</p>

Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson (2) throws a pass as he's pursued by junior linebacker Joe Bachie (35) during the game at Spartan Stadium Oct. 20. The Wolverines defeated the Spartans, 21-7.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The Spartans put forth a dominant defensive effort in their 24-3 win over Maryland Saturday, and one particular member of that defense is getting recognized for his contributions.

Linebacker Joe Bachie earned his third career Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honor Monday after recording seven total tackles, including two for a loss, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and two pass breakups against the Terrapins. 

The 6-foot-2, 238 pound junior captain helped Michigan State (6-3, 4-2 in Big Ten) limit the Terrapins (5-4, 3-3) to 26 rushing yards and 100 total offensive yards, which were both season lows.

Bachie earned Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week twice last season — first after a 14-10 Oct. 7 win over Michigan, recording 10 total tackles, including one for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, one interception and one pass breakup; and the second in a 17-9 Oct. 21 win over Indiana, registering a career-high 13 tackles, including 1.5 for loss, one sack and one forced fumble.

Bachie has a team-high 68 total tackles this season, including 6.5 for loss (third on team), with one sack, one interception, along with the two forced fumbles and fumble recover in Saturday's win over Maryland.

Bachie is the fourth player to earn Big Ten weekly honors this season for Michigan State. 

The Brook Park, Ohio native joins kicker Matt Coghlin, who earned Co-Special Teams Player of the Week after a win at Indiana on Sept. 22 (5-for-5 on PATs, 6-yard fake field goal touchdown run), safety Khari Willis, who was the Defensive Player of the Week after winning at Penn State on Oct. 13 (season-high nine total tackles, a forced fumble and pass breakup) and quarterback Rocky Lombardi being Co-Freshman of the Week after beating Purdue two weeks ago in his first career start (26-of-46 for 318 yards and two touchdowns).

The Spartans and their 22nd-ranked defense (325.1 yards allowed per game) take on No. 10 Ohio State (8-1, 5-1) and its fifth-ranked offense (547.2 yards per game) at noon Saturday in East Lansing on FOX.

"Am I eager? That might be an overstatement," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said about his team's upcoming matchup with the Buckeyes. "I'm curious. But you know last year they had their way so we're gong to have to play very, very well, have to know what they do and be on top of our A-game."

Share and discuss “Joe Bachie named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week” on social media.