Democrat Dana Nessel is elected Michigan’s new attorney general

Dana Nessel enters Wells Hall on Oct. 22, 2018 for a meeting with MSU College Democrats. Nessel is running for Michigan attorney general in the upcoming election.
Dana Nessel enters Wells Hall on Oct. 22, 2018 for a meeting with MSU College Democrats. Nessel is running for Michigan attorney general in the upcoming election. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Democrat Dana Nessel  won the Michigan attorney general race over Republican Tom Leonard. She has won 1,549,736 votes statewide with a 71 percent reporting, as of 12:15 a.m. Meanwhile, Leonard won 1,496,836 votes. Nessel won 60,158 votes in Ingham County.

Leonard conceded the race around 9 a.m. Wednesday.

“Last night’s results may be personally disappointing, but it is time to move forward and allow Michigan’s next attorney general to begin transitioning into this important role," Leonard said in a press release. "Dana Nessel ran a smart campaign and earned the voters’ trust."

Nessel plans to stand up for civil rights, protect the environment, defend workers and labor unions, legalize and regulate cannabis, protect consumers and students, and safeguard senior citizens.

"Everyone in this state (who) has felt like they weren't included and their government did not care about them — I don't care what your race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity (is) — you belong here," Nessel said. "You are a Michigander. As of now, you have a government that cares about you."

Share and discuss “Democrat Dana Nessel is elected Michigan’s new attorney general” on social media.