Self-care events, advice offered to students on National Coming Out Day

Lansing resident Abbey Kesti's dog Athena stands for a treat during Michigan Pride in Lansing on June 16, 2018.
Lansing resident Abbey Kesti's dog Athena stands for a treat during Michigan Pride in Lansing on June 16, 2018. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Oct. 11 marks the 30th anniversary of National Coming Out Day. This day celebrates the lives of the LBGTQ+ community and commemorates the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights in October 1979. 

For some people, coming out on Coming Out Day is not something they are comfortable with or able to do. Whether you’re proud and out in public or in private, National Coming Out Day is a day for self-care, storytelling and honoring those who identify within or ally with the LGBTQ+ community.  

Here are some ways to honor yourself and others on National Coming Out Day.

Surround yourself with people who love and accept you 

For some students, it’s family, friends who feel like family or anyone in between. Remember you are not alone and there is strength and comfort in community.

Educate yourself 

LGBTQ+ history is vast and colorful and there is a lot to be learned about the many movements of people fighting for love and equal opportunities. The MSU Library on campus has a vast Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, and Transgender Special Collection students can view online or in person. This collection includes books, photos and artifacts, bringing the history of the LGBTQ+ community to life.

The Human Rights Campaign also has articles on the history of Coming Out Day and LGBT Resource Center is well-stocked with information and resources for students on campus.  

Reach out for support

If you or someone you know plans to come out, find out ways to help yourself and others with coming out resources from the Matthew Shepard Foundation, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), or reach out to a trusted peer or adult. Having all forms of support can help create a better coming out experience. 

For those students wanting to come out, but are unsure how to go about it, check out this BuzzFeed list for 41 Awesome Ways to Come Out to Your Friends and Family.

Visit the MSU LBGT Resource Center 

They send out newsletters about events on campus, fostering community and care for LBGTQ+ students and their allies. 

On Oct. 11, the center will be hosting a celebration in the Student Services Building from 1-5 p.m. There will be rainbow cake, karaoke, games and the opportunity to meet other MSU students. 

In the evening, the LBGT Resource Center — in partnership with MSU Residence Education and Housing Services — will be hosting a National Coming Out Dinner from 6:30-8 p.m. in Holmes Private Dining Room. MSU students can reach out to the center if they do not have a meal plan.

Share and discuss “Self-care events, advice offered to students on National Coming Out Day ” on social media.