Preview: Michigan State, Michigan duel for Paul Bunyan Trophy

Junior wide receiver Darrell Stewart (25) catches the ball during the game against University of Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 14-10.
Junior wide receiver Darrell Stewart (25) catches the ball during the game against University of Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 14-10. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Who: No. 24 Michigan State vs. No. 6 Michigan

When: Saturday, Oct. 20 at noon

Where: Spartan Stadium

TV: FOX (Channel 2 in Detroit, Channel 47 in Lansing area)

Radio: Spartan Sports Network (WJR-AM 760 in Detroit, WMMQ-FM 94.9 in Lansing. Full local listings here).

Spread: -7.5 U-M, O/U 41

Weather: Estimated 48 degrees with about a 25 percent chance of rain at kickoff, according to Weather Underground.

Michigan State players to watch: QB Brian Lewerke, WR Felton Davis III, DT Raequan Williams, LB Joe Bachie

Michigan players to watch: QB Shea Patterson, LB Devin Bush, DE Chase Winovich, S Josh Metellus

Storylines

Joe Bachie hates losing, especially against Michigan.

“My thing to say is I hate losing more than I like winning, so if I were to lose this game it would mean a lot more to me,” Bachie said in a news conference Tuesday.

But when the junior linebacker and Michigan State beat the Wolverines 14-10 in Ann Arbor last season, it was special.

“You know, it's a tough game, all that rain, everything, just made it so special to be down there, coming out of a defensive game as a defensive guy,” said Bachie, who has a team-high 43 tackles along with one interception and two pass breakups. “But you know, a loss would hurt obviously and we don't talk about losses around here.”

Which is what the 24th-ranked Spartans (4-2, 2-1 in Big Ten) will try to prevent against the sixth-ranked Wolverines (6-1, 4-0) Saturday.

What this game features is two top defenses: MSU's No 1 run defense, which has allowed 62.3 yards per game, and U-M's No 1 pass defense which has surrendered 129.1 yards through the air. 

The Wolverines’ defense also has 20 sacks this season, tied for 28th in the country. Junior quarterback Brian Lewerke said this is a result of U-M liking to blitz.

“They are a very aggressive defense,” said Lewerke, who’s thrown eight touchdowns and seven interceptions for 1,587 yards with a .60 completion percentage. “You got a taste of that last year, for really the first time. It will take preparation, preparing for the blitzes, make sure you see them coming and make sure you know how to pick them up and change protection and stuff like that. Just get the ball out quickly.”

Coach Mark Dantonio said “that’s the tradition” of the game for the Paul Bunyan Trophy. 

“I'm very impressed with their defense, very impressed with their front four, front seven, they are active and quick,” said Dantonio, who’s 8-3 against U-M. “They are very well-coached. Same with their back end. They have a good football team.”

On the offensive side, the Wolverines are led by quarterback Shea Patterson, who’s thrown 10 touchdowns and three interceptions for 1,311 yards while completing 69 percent of his passes. 

A highly-rated, stable quarterback. Something Bachie said he doesn’t think U-M has had in recent years. 

“There's big talk about him,” Bachie said. “We are going to prepare for these guys with everything we've got. You've got to bring your best to this game. You have to prepare that way. Their offense is good. They are talking highly of their O-line. It's an exciting game, rivalry game. We'll be ready for it.” 

Like Bachie, senior safety Khari Willis said Patterson has the ability to run, which was showcased when he ran for a career-long 81-yard touchdown last Saturday in the Wolverines’ 38-13 win over No. 23 Wisconsin.

“I think they think real highly of their quarterback,” said Willis, who has 36 tackles, two interceptions and five pass breakups. “O-Line, like Joe said, they talk highly of those guys as well. I feel like they still like to do some of the similar things and they will have some pieces out on the edge, as well. It's going to be a challenge but one that we're looking forward to.”

Another challenge for MSU will be trying to stop U-M running back Karan Higdon, who’s 12th in the nation in rushing yards with 687 yards along with six touchdowns.

Which is almost as much as the entire Spartans’ offense, averaging 123 yards per game between four running backs, including senior L.J. Scott, who’s been out the last four weeks with an apparent injury.

Scott's status is unknown for Saturday.

“Traditionally, the team that's rushed for the most yardage has usually won the game,” Dantonio said. 

Each team will have an opportunity Saturday to improve its chances of earning a spot in the Big Ten championship game in Indianapolis. The Wolverines are a stout rushing team. The Spartans? Not quite, but Dantonio said anything can happen in college football, as long as his team is prepared.

“If you can just build throughout the game and not waiver, and stay committed throughout a football game, you have a better chance,” Dantonio said. “Doesn't mean it's going to continue on, but if you can just continue and stay committed, good things can happen. That's what we talk about. It's going to be a long football game and just do your job. Do your job and do it to the best of your ability with a lot of enthusiasm.”

Predictions

Jonathan LeBlanc 24-21 Michigan

Kara Keating 27-21 Michigan

Share and discuss “Preview: Michigan State, Michigan duel for Paul Bunyan Trophy” on social media.