MSUPD: "No threat" to community after posts alleging sex trafficking

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

Recent social media posts regarding a woman allegedly connected to a sex trafficking loop have been addressed by the MSU Police Department.

MSU student Olivia Yates was approached by a woman in a trench coat asking to use her phone in front of "the West Circle building," according to one social media post. It is unclear which building the post references.

The woman grabbed the phone out of Yates' hands and asked for her name and if she could go to the MSU Union at a certain date and time, the post said. Yates later received texts asking "where are you" before blocking the number, according to the post.

The post said an investigator from the East Lansing Police Department (ELPD) told Yates and her parents that their report is the sixth the department has received and that similar incidents — each citing a woman asking to use a phone because hers isn't working — have been reported at Wells Hall and other locations on campus.

In a Facebook post, MSUPD said there is one non-criminal report in regards to the incident and there is no threat to the community.

Stay with the State News for updates.

Share and discuss “MSUPD: "No threat" to community after posts alleging sex trafficking” on social media.