Michigan State shuts down Purdue comeback attempt, beats Boilermakers 23-13

Despite putting pressure on the Spartan defense for much of the fourth quarter, the Boilermakers failed to get the extra points needed to get ahead of Michigan State (5-3, 3-2 Big Ten) Saturday afternoon at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated a Purdue team (4-4, 3-2) coming in on a four-game winning streak, 23-13.  

Redshirt freshman Rocky Lombardi took over as starter in the match-up against Purdue over junior quarterback Brian Lewerke. In the first half, Lombardi would go 16-27 for 179 yards and threw his first career touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Darrell Stewart.

"We came out with the idea that we were going to attack and offense, defense and special teams have momentum and keep momentum," Dantonio said. "That's exactly what ended up happening." [0:15]

Throughout the first half, however, Lombardi struggled to connect with Stewart in the Boilermaker's endzone, until they were able to score the first touchdown of the game in the second quarter to put the team up 13-6.

During the end of the third quarter, Lombardi sent a deep pass down the field to Stewart once again, but the ruling on the field called it as incomplete. Stewart would momentarily go down on the field after the following play.

Lombardi would go 26-46 on his passes in his first official start in the Spartan uniform with two touchdown passes from Stewart and Nailor. 

"It took me a little bit to get into the rhythm," Lombardi said. "There was one out route where their linebacker sank under it and I got nervous and threw it high, but really it took about two passes for me to really get into the rhythm."  [1:34]

MSU was the first team on the board in the game, with a field goal from sophomore kicker Matt Coghlin, who would go on to score make another from 48-yards out.

Coghlin’s 18 consecutive made field goals streak would end after Purdue blocked his first attempt in the second half. Coghlin, who connected on a 34-yard attempt a little over five minutes later, went 3-of-4 on the afternoon. 

After senior linebacker Andrew Dowell failed to intercept Purdue quarterback David Blough, his brother, junior safety David Dowell succeeded in his pick-attempt of Blough to set up the Spartans at the Boilermaker's 49-yard line. 

Purdue forced a fumble on Lombardi during the first half, but failed to recover the ball and get a first down, which could have sparked the Boilermaker's stagnant offense. 

Purdue wide receiver Rondale Moore would go 11-16 gaining 74-yards on his plays leading among the Boilermakers receivers with D.J. Knox following with five complete passes in the game. 

Blough would throw 29-43 with three interceptions during the game for 277 yards. Lombardi threw for 318 yards. 

"They are explosive, obviously Rondale Moore is a great player, and the quarterback has been playing awesome," defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said. "A whole bunch of trick plays and gadgets, they're very explosive. I'm real proud of the guys." 

Junior linebacker Tyriq Thompson laid a big hit on Purdue receiver and forced an interception on the same play to give the ball to the Spartans, but Thompson was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play.

Junior cornerback Justin Layne made appearances on both offense and defense and helped neutralize the Purdue offense in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. It would bring the Boilermakers to third-and-9 and failed to help them get the lead ad secure the win over the Spartans. 

After a failed third-and-9 conversion with a little over three minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Boilermakers would attempt a 41-yard field goal to tie the game at 16, but the kick was blocked and the Spartans received the ball with the game in-hand. 

Layne would go 1-4 with 11 receiving yards on the offense side and break up four passes made by Purdue’s quarterback David Blough. 

"We got back off the mat and try to get back into the flow of things," Layne said. "The coaches instilled in us to keep fighting and have that underdog mentality." [0:49]

Freshman wide receiver Jalen Nailor shut the door on the Boilermakers on the ensuing possession, taking a short pass from Lombardi 48 yards and into the endzone. 

Senior safety Matt Morrissey got an interception on Purdue's next possession to seal the victory for MSU and snap the Boilermaker's four-game winning streak. 

"We had things going on throughout the week," Dantonio said. "A lot of distractions. they stayed focus. They stayed committed and that's what this program has been about." [1:35]

The Spartans will travel to Maryland next Saturday to play in their fourth road game of the season. Kickoff at Maryland Stadium is set for noon.

Share and discuss “Michigan State shuts down Purdue comeback attempt, beats Boilermakers 23-13” on social media.