Michigan State not using injuries as excuse for 3-2 start

Senior wide receiver Felton Davis III (18) looks to get up-field during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 6, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans trail the Wildcats 14-6 at halftime.
Senior wide receiver Felton Davis III (18) looks to get up-field during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 6, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans trail the Wildcats 14-6 at halftime. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

As Michigan State begins to head into the middle of its schedule, the team continues to figure out how to deal with losing key players due to injuries, such as wide receivers Cody White (hand) and Jalen Nailor (undisclosed). 

Against Northwestern Saturday, MSU saw redshirt freshman C.J. Hayes make his debut in the green and white, along with the return of sophomore wide receiver Cam Chambers. 

“Guys get opportunities to step up,” Warner said. “Whoever steps on the field has got to play, bottom line.”

With the injuries to the receiving core, this causes problems on play calls as the team prepares for its tougher games on the schedule, including No. 11 Penn State and No. 15 U of M. 

Quarterback Brian Lewerke knows this is one of their biggest concerns, but feels that the replacement receivers stepped up against Northwestern, despite the loss. 

“Obviously injuries are big, but I think at the receiver positions specifically, the guys stepped up great,” Lewerke said. “Cam (Chambers) had a great day today, (Brandon) Sowards had a great day and C.J. made a couple of great catches too.”

Chambers had 82 receiving yards in the 29-19 loss to the Wildcats, which was his first game this season. 

“You have to stay focused and do your job,” Chambers said. “You've got to help the team the best way you can.”

Other injuries to the Spartans include senior running back L.J. Scott and senior offensive guard David Beedle. Coach Mark Dantonio mentioned on Saturday that he hopes to bring some players back in their next game against Penn State.

Senior wide receiver Felton Davis III said after the loss to Northwestern that he feels the players who stepped in on Saturday were able to do a serviceable job, due to instinct.  

“We have the same offense from last year, but now we have the injuries, which puts new people in there and they really haven’t played as much," Davis said. "And when it presents itself in the game, you don't know how to react, but the more plays that they gotta go through and the more they have to do it, the better they're going to get.”

Davis finished the game with two touchdowns, marking it as his fourth game of his career with multiple touchdowns in a game, and led the team in both receiving and rushing yards, with 96 and 50 yards respectively, which isn't common for a wide receiver. 

“At the end of the day, I gotta make plays. 'Make plays, not excuses' is what I tell myself," Davis said.

Share and discuss “Michigan State not using injuries as excuse for 3-2 start” on social media.