Michigan State-Michigan football game enters weather delay

Michigan running back Chris Evans (12) is tackled by multiple Spartans during the game against Michigan on Oct. 20, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The game was scoreless at the rain delay in the first quarter.
Michigan running back Chris Evans (12) is tackled by multiple Spartans during the game against Michigan on Oct. 20, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The game was scoreless at the rain delay in the first quarter. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

With 6:11 left in the first quarter, No. 24 Michigan State and No. 6 University of Michigan entered a weather delay because of lightning in the area, and Spartan Stadium was temporarily evacuated. 

The game is expected to resume around 1:52 p.m., according to FOX and MSU Athletics. The Wolverines will have the ball on their 45-yard line and a second-and-6 once play resumes.

A college football game is delayed by 30 minutes after the latest lightning strike, according to NCAA rules.

The Spartans (4-2, 2-1 in Big Ten) and Wolverines (6-1, 4-0) are scoreless so far at Spartan Stadium.

Running back LJ Scott is playing for the first time in four weeks after fighting an apparent ankle injury, and has rushed twice for 4 yards, while catching a pass for 15 yards. Quarterback Brian Lewerke is 2-for-3 for 23 yards.

For U-M, quarterback Shea Patterson is 3-for-4 for 24 yards, while rushing twice for 10 yards, while linebacker Josh Uche sacked Lewerke on MSU's first and only drive so far.

As of 1:15 p.m. fans started to file back in Spartan Stadium. Gates will re-open between 1:20-1:30 p.m.

Stay with The State News as this story develops.

Share and discuss “Michigan State-Michigan football game enters weather delay” on social media.