Solidarity wall for survivors of sexual abuse brought to MSU's campus

<p>MSU students write encouraging messages to survivors of sexual abuse on a "solidarity wall" set up by group Cravefest on Sept. 5, 2018.&nbsp;</p>

MSU students write encouraging messages to survivors of sexual abuse on a "solidarity wall" set up by group Cravefest on Sept. 5, 2018. 

Photo by Jack Ryan | The State News

In light of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse and attention surrounding the university's handling of reports against him, there have been many forms of activism on campus.

Last spring, teal ribbon was tied around trees and buildings, the MSU Rock displayed the names of the hundreds of survivors of Nassar's abuse for over a month and several protests and rallies took place outside of the Hannah Administration Building.

Cravefest, a religious group on campus, set up a "solidarity wall" from Sept. 4 to Sept. 6 on Farm Lane.

According to the group's website, the wall is a place "where individuals can write what they would say to a victim of sexual abuse."

"We just really want to bring healing on this campus," Steven Silva, a member of the religious advisory group in charge of the event, said.

Along with the help of the student-run organization Adventist Student Fellowship, Cravefest said it is giving students the opportunity to have their voices heard. The wall is set up so anyone can come by and write something encouraging to survivors of sexual abuse.

“There has been a lot of support, but there hasn’t been maybe visible support like this on campus,” Silva said.

With so many powerful messages written on the wall, survivors have come to check it out and have been moved by the amount of love and support they have been given, Silva said.

Silva said there has been a lot of media attention regarding the survivors of Nassar's sexual abuse, but feels there has not been much physical attention where other students can show their support.

Along with the solidarity wall, a love letter is being sent out to the survivors to let them know they are still valuable and they have so much more to offer to the world, Silva said.

Share and discuss “Solidarity wall for survivors of sexual abuse brought to MSU's campus” on social media.