Michigan State field hockey downs Monmouth in penalty shootout

Freshman forward Isa Van Der Weij (16) and Monmouth’s defense Lotte Boom (23) run during the game against Monmouth at Ralph Young Field on Sept. 7, 2018. The Spartans defeated the Hawks in a double overtime shootout, 2-1.
Freshman forward Isa Van Der Weij (16) and Monmouth’s defense Lotte Boom (23) run during the game against Monmouth at Ralph Young Field on Sept. 7, 2018. The Spartans defeated the Hawks in a double overtime shootout, 2-1. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State Field Hockey nodded up its record at 3-3 Friday afternoon at Ralph Young Field, defeating Monmouth 2-1 in a penalty shootout. Following a 2-1 overtime loss to Yale in Connecticut, the Spartans recovered late to force yet another overtime, this time resulting in favor of MSU.

Early on and into the second half, Monmouth controlled the pace of play, keeping the Spartans on their heels. It was somewhat familiar territory for the green and white, Coach Helen Knull explained. 

“We’ve had a history of doing this this season where we wait until the last 20 minutes … and all of the sudden we start playing the hockey we were talking about playing," she said. 

While possession favored MSU in the first half, Monmouth’s midfield play took over, resulting in a goal by the Hawks' Georgia Garden Bachop three minutes into the second half. The Hawks dictated the pace of play for the majority of the second half, resulting in the Spartans’ having to make adjustments.  

As MSU attempted to get pressure on Monmouth, they had no shortage of penalty corner opportunities. 

“To Monmouth’s credit, their fly - so the first runner that’s out, she’s quick … when their fly is out fast it eliminates some your options and your angles,” Knull said.

But Knull affirmed the team’s confidence did not dwindle. 

“It’s [the] belief that a goal is going to come. We had opportunities all game, they just didn’t go in,” she added. 

And with under three minutes left in regulation, freshman Maddie McDonough completed the first part of her heroics for the Spartans on Friday. Her slapshot to the left post tied the game, 1-1, eventually forcing overtime in which play stagnated.  

As a back and forth shootout ensued, it was again left up to the freshman to deliver for the Spartans. After two successful second attempt opportunities for Monmouth, McDonough had the ball on her stick with a chance to secure the win after the second extra period.  

“Maddie has been exceptional as a freshman. Every game, she starts in the midfield at center-mid, and often she’s not in the stat sheet,” Knull said.  

On Friday, however, McDonough would be recognized for the second time on the day. After eluding the goalkeeper to the right and sneaking her shot in, the freshman became the saving grace the Spartans desperately needed.  

Looking forward, MSU will take on University of the Pacific at Ralph Young Field Sunday, as the team looks to break the .500 mark for first time this season.  

Share and discuss “Michigan State field hockey downs Monmouth in penalty shootout” on social media.