MSU Police Department Chief retires

Courtesy of MSUPD
Courtesy of MSUPD —

Chief Jim Dunlap of the MSU Police Department (MSUPD) announced his retirement via press release on Friday. His retirement is effective April 1, 2019.

In the press release, Dunlap said though it's hard for him to leave after five decades of service, it's his time to go.

“I’ve had a fantastic career,” said Dunlap, who has worked with the department since 1969. “I couldn’t be prouder of the officers I’ve served with or the work we’ve done."

In August, Dunlap and MSU interim President John Engler announced a program to develop trauma-informed and survivor-centric investigations into relationship violence and sexual assault.

“I can’t praise Chief Dunlap enough for the work he’s done,” Engler said in the press release. “When I started in February I immediately recognized that he is an incredible leader whose judgement and guidance was invaluable. Jim is also a visionary. He’s spent nearly 20 years innovating and modernizing the police department, building relationships and partnerships and, above all, keeping our community safe. MSU will miss Chief Dunlap but we will never forget his extraordinary service.”

The press release said under Dunlap's leadership, MSUPD has developed units such as the Inclusion and Anti-Bias Unit, Behavioral Threat Assessment Unit, Digital Forensics and Cyber Crime Unit and Special Victims Unit.

Dunlap will remain police chief until the end of the year, before assisting in the transition period for a new chief in an advisory role until April 1. The search for a new police chief begins in October.

Share and discuss “MSU Police Department Chief retires” on social media.