Michigan Radio to launch in-depth podcast looking into Nassar's abuse

An in-depth podcast mini-series on ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar and the hundreds of women and girls who were sexually abused by him is being launched by Michigan Radio. 

The new podcast, called "Believed," will premiere this October. It aims to answer the question of how Nassar was able to avoid prosecution for over 20 years, as well as look at how "well-meaning adults can fail to believe," according to a press release from Michigan Radio.

The press release said the series will also focus on the survivors of Nassar's sexual abuse, how they have won justice and how they are part of the cultural movement and conversation against sexual assault. 

"Michigan Radio is beyond proud to be able to bring the stories of these survivors to podcast listeners across the world,” Michigan Radio Program Director Zoe Clark said in the press release. “We are grateful to the women who have been willing to share their stories and hope this reporting will spark conversations aimed at preventing future abuse."

"Believed" will be hosted by Michigan Radio reporters Kate Wells and Lindsey Smith, and since it's being distributed by National Public Radio, or NPR, it will be the first station-produced podcast to be distributed by a public radio network. 

Though Michigan Radio is the state's most listened to news station, NPR podcasts are heard by 16 million people each month, according to the press release. 

Through their preferred podcast platforms, the NPR One app or home voice-activated assistants, listeners can access the series in late October, the press release said.  

Share and discuss “Michigan Radio to launch in-depth podcast looking into Nassar's abuse” on social media.