Column: How Dantonio and his team can follow last season's turnaround hype

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

After a huge turnaround from MSU football's 2016 3-9 football season to a 2017 10-3 record, the hype is still there, but now the question being asked is if the team and head coach Mark Dantonio will continue on their successful run.

Sophomore wide receiver Cody White talked on MSU football's Aug. 6 media day about the new “buzz” going around to maintain their confidence heading into the new season, which is what the team focused during the spring practices. 

“The biggest buzz I would say is to do better than we did last year,” White said. “Don’t get compliance and keep getting better. I feel like that’s the buzz and I feel like we’ve been doing that.” 

As for the offensive line returners, junior left tackle Cole Chewins, senior left guard David Beedle, sophomore right guard Kevin Jarvis and sophomore right tackle Luke Campbell are set to start, leaving one more spot open for the possibility that junior offensive guard Tyler Higby could play center for junior quarterback Brian Lewerke.  

Senior running back LJ Scott is currently on two award watch lists. The first is for the Maxwell Award, given by the Maxwell Football Club to the top player in the country. Scott also joins fellow teammate Lewerke on the Doak Walker Award watch list for the top running back in the country.

There is no true no standout player for the Spartans, but having their depth of players on the offensive will help carry them where they need to be by the end of the season.  

For Lewerke, he feels this will build a bigger connection with each other after already playing together last season. 

“We’ve played a full year together, so everyone knows each other and knows how we play now and I can definitely see that in the future,” junior quarterback Brian Lewerke said. 

With a forceful offense, a strong defense will follow along with it. 

Returners will consist of junior cornerback Justin Layne and senior safeties Khari Willis and Matt Morrissey. Sophomore cornerback Josiah Scott will sit out for two months due to an injury. Junior linebacker Joe Bachie and junior defensive end Kenny Willekes will be others to return, as well.   

Bachie is currently on the watch list for the 24th Chuck Bednarik Award given to the best defensive player at the end of each season. Before the start of the season, the Spartan defense ranks 13th overall in total defense by the NCAA. 

Of course any football team in the country wants to have the best defense, but for junior defensive end Kenny Willekes, he knows that cannot happen overnight for his team.

“Our goal is to be the best defense in the country,” Willekes said. “Just saying that isn’t going to get us there, so we continue to work on it everyday.” 

Another key component the team needs to maintain to stay strong throughout their season is secured leadership. With their speedy quarterback at the helm of the team and a majority of their rosters returning for their junior or senior season, the sophomores and very few freshman can look towards their veterans to guide them through a good season.

Leadership and hard work are what the players follow with this season’s motto of "heaving." This year’s first team photo of the season showcased the players in khaki colored shirts, holding a thick rope to represent that they will “all pull the rope and heave together to reach their goals,” according to the MSU Football Twitter account. 

“I see the change in the leadership, but I still see that guys want to work,” junior defensive tackle Raequan Williams said. “That’s always been since ‘16 even through the bad years and the good years. That hard work never changes.” 

Will this team be exciting to watch once again this season? Absolutely. Will they be the best in the nation? Only time will tell, with many other outlets ranking them in the top 15 in the College Football Playoffs. 

“I’m excited to watch them and they have fun with each other,” Dantonio said. “From what I’ve seen, whether it’s been winter workouts or spring ball, our bottom line line summer program conditioning or the beginning of fall camp, our guys enjoy being with each other and that’s the main thing I look at. They work everyday.”   

Share and discuss “Column: How Dantonio and his team can follow last season's turnaround hype” on social media.