Morning voter turnout across campus, East Lansing

<p>East Lansing City Hall on July 3, 2018.</p>

East Lansing City Hall on July 3, 2018.

This morning, primary election voter turnout has remained "steady" across MSU's campus and the city of East Lansing, according to election officials.

Voter turnout at MSU

Campus polling locations are located in Brody Square, IM Sports East and the MSU Union.

According to election officials in IM Sports East, where residents in Precinct 13 and 14 vote, turnout has remained low. Officials said they don't expect a large voter turnout in those precincts because the area consists mostly of MSU's East Neighborhood residential halls, and many students who lived there are gone for the summer term. 

At the MSU Union, election officials said there were three voters in Precinct 15 and two voters in Precinct 12 who filled out ballots.

Similar to other polling locations on campus, Brody Square, where residents in Precinct 1 vote, had lower voter turnout in the morning with three voters.

Election officials said Precinct 1 consists mostly of students, but also some households. They said they expect activity to increase in the afternoon when students get out of class.

Voter turnout among other precincts in East Lansing

Polling locations across the city of East Lansing seemed to have higher voter turnout in the morning compared to those located on MSU's campus.

According to Robert Ulrich, chair of Precinct 2, there was a line of about eight people outside the doors of Martin Luther Chapel on Abbot Road this morning before the polls opened at 8 a.m. Ulrich said over 100 people in Precinct 2 had voted so far and he expects numbers to "get busier around dinner time."

"A lot of professionals live in this neighborhood, so a lot of people find it easier to vote after work than trying to get here before they go to work," Ulrich said. 

Margie Ring, chair of Precinct 3, said almost 300 people had voted in the Hannah Community Center this morning. She said the precinct normally has a good voter turnout, as she has worked elections before. 

Susan Godfrey, chair of Precinct 6, said 97 people voted this morning and that turnout has remained "very steady."

"We close the polls at 8 o'clock and then we'll be finalizing and getting our information back to the city clerk's office," she said. 

The polls will be open until 8 p.m. tonight.

Stay with The State News for more primary election updates by following our live blog here. 

Share and discuss “Morning voter turnout across campus, East Lansing” on social media.