Former Michigan State men's basketball strength coach sent to prison

A student bikes past Breslin Center on Oct. 16, 2017. Breslin Center was recently renovated.
A student bikes past Breslin Center on Oct. 16, 2017. Breslin Center was recently renovated. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

After being convicted in July on two counts of reckless driving, which resulted in the death of a mother and daughter last summer, former Michigan State basketball strength coach Todd Moyer received his prison sentence on Thursday in Monroe County Circuit Court. 

A Monroe jury convicted Todd Moyer in July, charging him with two counts of reckless driving. He was convicted by Monroe County Circuit Judge Michael Weipert, who sentenced Moyer to 86 months to 15 years in prison. According to a Lansing State Journal report, the prison sentence is toward the upper echelon of the suggested time for this offense in the state of Michigan.  

The incident, which resulted in the death of mother and daughter Gladys and Za’Kira Johnson last July, occurred south of Detroit on southbound U.S. 23 as a result of distracted driving. According to the Lansing State Journal report and Monroe County prosecutors, Moyer was speeding and did not make an attempt to reduce speed from 78 mph leading up to the crash.  

Information cited by the report from Moyer’s cell phone indicates various operations, including multiple texts and an internet search for an Ohio strip club, contributed to his distraction. 

According to a report by The Detroit News, Moyer and head basketball Tom Izzo are coordinating on a public service announcement advising against distracted driving.

Moyer's tenure as basketball strength coach was suspended in November as charges were filed and his contract ended in June. He is no longer employed at MSU.

Share and discuss “Former Michigan State men's basketball strength coach sent to prison ” on social media.