Evening sees voter turnout increase across campus, East Lansing

The Primary Election voting location for precinct 4 at Murphy Elementary School on August 7, 2018.

Compared to the morning, primary election voter turnout steadily increased across campus and East Lansing the afternoon of Aug. 7, according to election officials.

Voter turnout on MSU's campus

Election officials in IM Sports East said 29 people have voted in Precinct 13 and 10 people have voted in Precinct 14 as of 6 p.m. Tuesday evening. 

By contrast, election officials said that only one person had voted in Precinct 13 and one person had voted in Precinct 14 in the morning. According to numerous officials, turnout picked up in the afternoon. 

In the MSU Union, Precinct 12 has seen 31 votes and Precinct 15 has seen 57 votes so far.

"Pretty good for August with the students gone," one election official in Precinct 12 said.

As of the morning, Precinct 12 had two voters and Precinct 15 had three voters.

Brody Square, where Precinct 1 residents vote, also saw a steady increase of voting activity in the afternoon. According to election officials in Precinct 1, they've seen about 30 ballots cast so far. 

One election official said that the precinct experienced a "suppertime rush," or an increase in voter turnout during dinner time.

Voter turnout among other precincts in East Lansing

The Hannah Community Center on Abbot Road also experienced steady voting activity throughout the day. 

According to Bev Baten, an election official in Precinct 3 and a former city council member, the precinct has had 642 voters cast ballots today, not including absentee ballots.

Baten said that Precinct 3 is large and that turnout has been "very steady here at this precinct."

She said that she believes the steadiness of the voter turnout is a result of the East Lansing income tax proposal that is on the ballot. 

The polls close at 8 p.m. tonight.

Stay with The State News for updates on election results by following our live blog here. 

Share and discuss “Evening sees voter turnout increase across campus, East Lansing ” on social media.