New athletic director contract includes season tickets and a $750,000 salary

New athletic director Bill Beekman speaks after the meeting on July 17, 2018, at the Hannah Administration Building.
New athletic director Bill Beekman speaks after the meeting on July 17, 2018, at the Hannah Administration Building. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

New athletic director for MSU, Bill Beekman, will receive a $750,000 annual salary, four complimentary season tickets to MSU football, hockey and basketball games as well as a parking pass for each game and a membership to a country club of his choosing, according to his contract with the university.

Effective July 17, 2018, Beekman’s contract as MSU’s athletic director will also provide him with two complimentary stadium tower passes for the football season, an opportunity to purchase two football season tickets in the club level, two basketball season tickets in the lower bowl, two hockey season tickets in the club level and a parking pass for each of the hockey, football and basketball home games. 

As athletic director, Beekman is also eligible to receive an annual performance bonus of up to $100,000 based on the “achievement of certain performance objectives,” the contract said. The bonus is at the discretion of the president of the university.

According to the contract, 

• The overall performance of the athletic director with respect to his duties, responsibilities, compliance with the NCAA, Big 10 and university rules regarding athletics operations. Academic success and academic grade point averages are steady or improved and student athlete graduation rates would earn Beekman $50,000.
  • The athletic department’s successful achievement of specific operational or financial performance metrics and fundraising objectives established by the university’s president for the fiscal year would earn Beekman $50,000.

Beekman was appointed as interim athletic director by Interim President John Engler on Feb. 5, 2018.

His appointment came after Mark Hollis left the position on Jan. 26, 2018 in light of scrutiny against MSU Athletics regarding ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse.

It was formally announced that Beekman would be the permanent athletic director at a press conference on Monday.

At the press conference, Interim President John Engler said that there was unanimous support for the appointment of Beekman as the permanent athletic director from the MSU Board of Trustees, the varsity coaches and university leadership.

"Today, I'm once again asking Bill to take on a greater role," Engler said on Monday. "I've asked Bill Beekman to accept the appointment of vice president and director of athletics at Michigan State University."

Amid controversy about the way MSU chose the permanent athletic director, Engler explained that the reason why the university did not hold a national search after they had initially promised that “no internal candidates will be considered in the search process” was because Beekman possessed the leadership qualities needed for the job.

“We ended up not needing to do a national search,” Engler said. 

On Tuesday, the Board of Trustees unanimously voted to approve Beekman’s contract as athletic director at an additional meeting. 

Share and discuss “New athletic director contract includes season tickets and a $750,000 salary” on social media.