MSU Athletics announces five inductees for 2018 Hall of Fame class

<p>Former MSU quarterback Jimmy Raye and&nbsp;author Tom Shanahan speak at a book signing in 2015. State News File Photo.</p>

Former MSU quarterback Jimmy Raye and author Tom Shanahan speak at a book signing in 2015. State News File Photo.

The MSU Athletics Hall of Fame will have five new members as MSU announced Tuesday afternoon that former MSU quarterback Jimmy Raye, former wrestler Dale Anderson, track and field sprinter Savatheda (Fynes) Coke, former track and field athlete Bill Wehrwein and former rower Rachel Miller will be inducted in its 2018 class on Sept. 27.

The five former MSU athletes will also be honored during the Spartans’ home game against Central Michigan University on Sept. 29. 

“I’m in awe at the list of credentials for this year’s Hall of Fame class,” Athletic Director Bill Beekman said in a press release. “This group has combined for 14 All-American honors, 12 individual Big Ten Championships, six individual NCAA Championships and three team NCAA Championships. In addition they have captured Olympic gold, been recognized for academic excellence, helped launch a new sport at MSU, and perhaps most importantly, been a key figure in the integration of college football across the nation.”

Raye help lead the Spartans to the 1966 National Championship, which ended with a 10-10 tie against Notre Dame, and was a part of the 1965 National Championship team. He was also the the first African-American starting quarterback from the South to win a National Championship.

“Raye was part of a groundbreaking football integration movement that changed college football forever. His teammates talk about the way his leadership embodied the togetherness that existed on those championship teams,” Beekman said. “Raye’s induction shows that the power student-athletes have extends far beyond the field of play.”

Anderson won back-to-back NCAA Championships in 1967 and 1968, going undefeated in his junior season in 1967. He also earned three Big Ten titles and was a three-time All-American.

The two-time NCAA Champion was also a part of three Big Ten conference championship teams and the program’s lone NCAA Championship in 1967.

Coke was only a Spartan for her freshman year, but in that time she won three NCAA titles, which is more than any other Spartan has won in their career. She also competed on the national Bahamas track and field team in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, where she earned a gold medal in the women’s 4x100 relay.

Miller is the first rowing Hall of Fame inductee since the program’s inaugural 1997-98 season. She was the first All-American first-team rowing honoree, and is still the lone three-time honoree. She helped lead MSU to the NCAA Championships in her four seasons from 1999-2003, and led them to the varsity eight in her final three seasons. 

Wehrwein won an NCAA Championship in 1969 for the 600-yard run, won five Big Ten Championships from 1968-70 and is a four-time All-American honoree.

“Bill Wehrwein competed during one of the greatest periods of MSU track and field, excelling both as an athlete and as a team leader,” Beekman said. “His competitive spirit, leadership and loyalty were an example for Hall of Famers who followed him.”

Share and discuss “MSU Athletics announces five inductees for 2018 Hall of Fame class” on social media.