Brian Lewerke makes Big Ten preseason honor list

<p>Sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) throws the football during the game against Penn State, on Nov. 4, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 27-24.</p>

Sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) throws the football during the game against Penn State, on Nov. 4, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 27-24.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The Big Ten Conference announced its preseason honorees for the 2018 football season, and MSU quarterback Brian Lewerke has been named to the list. 

The announcement was made in conjunction with the start of Big Ten Media Days. The list is formed by a panel of media members, with five players selected from each division.

Lewerke joins Penn State senior quarterback Trace McSorley, Michigan junior defensive end Rashan Gary and Ohio State sophomore running back J.K. Dobbins and junior defensive end Nick Bosa as the representatives for the East Division. 

Lewerke enters the 2018 season on the heels of a sophomore campaign in which he threw for 2,793 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, and seven interceptions in 13 games. Lewerke and McSorley are the only two quarterbacks that have been selected to the list. McSorley is the conference's only unanimous selection for this award. 

Wisconsin and Ohio State are the only two schools in the conference with multiple players chosen for this honor, as senior linebacker T.J. Edwards and sophomore running back Jonathan Taylor have been chosen to represent the Badgers. 

Lewerke and the Spartans will kick off their 2018 season Friday, Aug. 31 when they host the Utah State Aggies. 

Share and discuss “Brian Lewerke makes Big Ten preseason honor list” on social media.