Excessive heat warning in effect for East Lansing, surrounding areas

The music stage is pictured during the Summer Solstice Jazz Festival on June 24, 2017 on Grand River Ave. in East Lansing. The Summer Solstice Jazz Festival is a multi-stage, live outdoor music event where jazz music is celebrated.
The music stage is pictured during the Summer Solstice Jazz Festival on June 24, 2017 on Grand River Ave. in East Lansing. The Summer Solstice Jazz Festival is a multi-stage, live outdoor music event where jazz music is celebrated. —

High temperatures and humidity forecast for this weekend have caused the National Weather Service to issue an excessive heat warning for East Lansing and the surrounding areas. 

An excessive heat warning means a prolonged period of high temperatures is expected in an area. For East Lansing, heat indices are expected to reach up to 100 degrees Friday, 110 degrees Saturday and 100 degrees on Sunday.

The excessive heat warning will be in effect from 12 p.m. Friday to 8 p.m. Sunday. It replaces the excessive heat watch issued yesterday.

The NWS advises individuals in the area to follow steps to ensure they won't experience symptoms of heat stroke or other high temperature-related illnesses. People are advised to drink fluids, stay in an air-conditioned area and take multiple breaks if they have to be out in the sun. 

Share and discuss “Excessive heat warning in effect for East Lansing, surrounding areas” on social media.