Five places to get food near graduation day

Getting a table at a restaurant can be a challenge for family and friends after MSU's graduation ceremonies. Here's a list of lesser-known places to try out in Lansing and East Lansing.

Education senior Jaclyn Botsford laughs during the playing of the "Michigan State Fight Song" during the Spring Convocation ceremony May 2, 2014, at Breslin Center. Graduating seniors were honored as a whole prior to individual college commencement ceremonies. Danyelle Morrow/The State News
Education senior Jaclyn Botsford laughs during the playing of the "Michigan State Fight Song" during the Spring Convocation ceremony May 2, 2014, at Breslin Center. Graduating seniors were honored as a whole prior to individual college commencement ceremonies. Danyelle Morrow/The State News —

With graduation caps in hand and friends and family in tow, many graduates will be trying to squeeze their entourages into a restaurant after their ceremonies. Though there are many places to get a meal around campus, space at popular restaurants on Grand River Avenue may be limited. Opt to try restaurants on this list. They're located away from the main buzz of campus.

DeLuca's Restaurant and Pizzeria 

Address: 2006 W. Willow St. Lansing, MI

Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

Friday and Saturday, 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

DeLuca's Pizza has operated in the Lansing area for over 50 years. It has garnered numerous awards for its food.  As a sit-down restaurant, DeLuca’s Pizza can host a large number of folks celebrating graduation. 

Swagath Indian Cuisine

Address: 1060 Trowbridge Rd., Suite No. 3., East Lansing, MI

Hours: Open everyday. Lunch buffet occurs from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and fine dining occurs from 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Swagath offers traditional Indian cuisine and is tucked behind Woody’s Oasis. Its private banquet room seats up to 50 people and its reception hall can seat up to 100 people. Since it has numerous vegetarian options on the menu, Swagath caters to a variety of diets. 

Good Truckin’ Diner

Address: 1107 S. Washington Ave., Lansing, MI 

Hours: Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

If all the group wants is a burger after sitting through graduation, this diner in REO Town might be an option. Good Truckin’ Diner serves up classics like burgers, omelettes and flapjacks paired with milkshakes. The twist? The milkshakes are blended with your favorite childhood cereals. 

Gourmet Village

Address: 4790 Hagadorn Rd. No. 102, East Lansing, MI 

Hours: Monday to Thursday 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Friday and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Sunday from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

If Pizza House is packed, turn left. In the same plaza, you'll find Gourmet Village.  Gourmet Village has Chinese food that includes seafood and authentic Szechuan dishes.

Capital Prime

Address: 2324 Showtime Drive, Lansing, MI 

Hours: Monday to Thursday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Friday from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Saturday from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Sunday from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.

On its menu, Capital Prime offers to “always purchase Michigan grown produce and local products whenever they are available." Their dishes are made using fresh ingredients daily. Next door is Capital Vine, a bistro, wine bar and lounge. 

Share and discuss “Five places to get food near graduation day” on social media.