Softball sweeps three-game series against Rutgers

From left, junior third baseman Kaitlyn Eveland (8), designated player Kelcey Carrasco (17), Senior redshirt pitcher Kristina Zalewski (2), and Freshman first baseman Riley Paxson (27) stand for the national anthem before the game against Central Michigan on April 25, 2018. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 8-1.
From left, junior third baseman Kaitlyn Eveland (8), designated player Kelcey Carrasco (17), Senior redshirt pitcher Kristina Zalewski (2), and Freshman first baseman Riley Paxson (27) stand for the national anthem before the game against Central Michigan on April 25, 2018. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 8-1. —
Photo by Charles Benoit | The State News

MSU softball swept the final match of its three-game weekend series against Rutgers with a 2-0 victory at Secchia Stadium Sunday afternoon.

The first inning of the game saw the Spartans gain two runs, which gave them an edge against the Scarlet Knights. Senior outfielder Lea Foerster scored a home run in the first inning, allowing the Spartans a 1-0 advantage. Senior shortstop McKenzie Long reached first base on an error by Rutgers. Sophomore catcher Kelcey Cararasco then stepped up to bring Long home with an RBI single.

Senior Kristina Zalewski pitched for the entirety of the game and kept Rutgers off the scoreboard with five strikeouts. 

The Spartans had previously won the first two games of the series against Rutgers, earning final scores of 4-2 on April 27 and 9-2 on April 28. The final win in the series was the fifth-straight victory for the Spartans. 

Their record is currently 21-24. The Spartans will next take on the University of Michigan in their last home game on at 4 p.m. May 2. 

Share and discuss “Softball sweeps three-game series against Rutgers” on social media.