Obituary: Former MSU professor, State News board member has died

molloy

John Donald Molloy, retired MSU professor and former board member for The State News, died at the age of 87 on March 27. 

Molloy was a professor at Michigan State University for 47 years. He used the four books on political science he had published for material in his classes. He also taught journalism at Northwestern University for one year between his time at MSU. 

Outside of teaching and the Board, he was involved in his church, enjoyed playing golf, and was a baseball fan. And just like any other Spartan, Molloy rooted on the Spartans on the football field and basketball court.

Molloy was family-orientated, according to his obituary, and is survived by his wife Carol; two daughters, Mary Molloy and Susan North; two grandsons, Thomas North and Daniel North; and three great-grandchildren, Cora Lisabeth North, Andrew North, and Addison North. 

The memorial service will take place at 4 p.m. on April 21 at Gorsline Runciman Funeral Homes East Lansing Chapel. Visitors can arrive as early as 3 p.m. to see the family, and a reception will follow the service.

"He was a good caring man, and he enjoyed teaching," Susan North said. "He was always there for the people that needed him."

Editor's note: This article was updated at 12:53 p.m. to include Molloy taught at Northwestern University. A previous version of the story said he taught at Northwood University.

Share and discuss “Obituary: Former MSU professor, State News board member has died” on social media.