New sex misconduct allegation added in former dean Strampel's case

Former MSU dean William Strampel speaks with judge Richard D. Ball over video in the courtroom at the 54-B District Court on March 27. Strampel faces four charges, misconduct in office, a five-year felony, two counts of willful neglect of duty and one count of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct.
Former MSU dean William Strampel speaks with judge Richard D. Ball over video in the courtroom at the 54-B District Court on March 27. Strampel faces four charges, misconduct in office, a five-year felony, two counts of willful neglect of duty and one count of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

More evidence could be admitted to the case against former College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean William Strampel for alleged sexual misconduct.

Attorney General Bill Schuette filed a motion April 24 to allow two witnesses to testify in support of prior evidence against Strampel.

Strampel's actions bear "the same eerie mark as the conduct of Larry Nassar, employing the cover of legitimate medical procedures, conducted for his own sexual gratification," the filing reads.

Witness 1, W-1, was a student at Central Michigan University and she worked at MSU as a "clinical skills model," according to the documents filed.

W-1 alleges as the examination model she was paid $100 an hour to be fully naked, and $50 for vital testing. W-1 said there were approximately 10 examinations.

Strampel allegedly conducted the full examination, which included a breast examination, anal and vaginal penetration, in front of "a small group of medical students," according to the documents.

Following the examinations, Strampel allegedly took W-1 to dinner at a local restaurant in Lansing. After what W-1 believes in the 10th examination, Strampel said he was "beginning to get hard," and the examination "turned him on." 

"He also commented that he liked that she did not have pubic hair," according to the filing.

W-1 said she did not participate in examinations after Strampel's comments.

Witness 2, W-2, applied to be a student at the College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2006. However, her Medical College Admission Test, or MCAT, scores were too low. 

W-2 become a clinical skills model at Strampel's recommendation. He then took her into a private room, where she undressed and Strampel performed a breast and pelvic exam. Strampel also complimented W-2 on her lack of pubic hair.

"W-2 also noted that the only time he looked in her eyes during the exam was while he was penetrating her vagina," according the filing.

Strampel had W-2 participate in an examination by a Middle Eastern male who was uncomfortable with performing the exam on a woman. Strampel then made "inappropriate jokes."

W-2 was paid in cash by Strampel and was told she needed to score 19 on her MCAT for admittance to the osteopathic school. The ordinary admission score was 25, according to the filing.

The original filing referenced four victims, this one details a fifth victim, V-5. 

In a meeting with Strampel, he told V-5 about other other women who performed oral sex on him. He also said, "You'd be surprised what people are willing to do in stressful situations," according to the motion.

The father of an unnamed victim contacted the Michigan Department of the Attorney General to report comments made to his daughter. 

During two meetings between the daughter and Strampel, he told the woman she would "be in trouble," if he ever caught her taking nude photos. He also commented that young women can "'put-out' for 20 minutes and an old man will fall asleep and a women (sic) will get the benefits of being on vacation with the man."

The father allegedly called MSU Provost June Youatt and discussed the comments by Strampel. Youatt allegedly said none of the conversation surprised her. 

The Provost's Office deferred to MSU Communications and Brand Strategy for comment. CABS did not respond to request for comment at the time of publication.

A report was filed with Debra Martinez from the Office of Institutional Equity, or OIE, on Dec. 17, 2017. Then, on Jan. 31, the person received an email from OIE saying Strampel was on medical leave and was not required to be involved in campus business.

The person reached out to the Attorney General after hearing the statements at Nassar's sentencing and "they fear that some of them may have complained about Larry Nassar to William Strampel."

Police reports from the Michigan State Police are also part of the filing. They repeat information previously reported as well as reported in this article.

Strampel is facing one charge of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, a high court misdemeanor which could carry up to two years in prison. He also faces a felony count of misconduct in office and two misdemeanors willful neglect of duty as a public officer. 

He was arrested March 26, and released on a personal recognizance bond on March 27. 

Judge Richard Ball, of 54B District Court, will hear the motion to admit the evidence at 9 a.m. on May 3.

Share and discuss “New sex misconduct allegation added in former dean Strampel's case” on social media.