Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Nassar's former boss arrested ahead of investigation update

Former MSU Dean of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel has been arrested. Strampel is currently in the Ingham County Jail system, according to jail records. 

Strampel faces multiple charges including at least one felony charge, according to the Detroit Free Press, though no public charge information is available.

There is currently no information in the system as to when Strampel might appear in court.

WILX News posted pictures of Michigan State Police cars surrounding Strampel's home Monday evening.

Special Prosecutor William Forsyth, who was appointed to lead Attorney General Bill Schuette's investigation into MSU's handling of sexual misconduct regarding Nassar, announced Monday morning he will hold a press conference to update the public on the investigation at noon on Tuesday. It is unclear at this time whether the press conference concerns Strampel's arrest.

"Our clients are encouraged by the Attorney General’s action today. It demonstrates that he is serious about investigating the systemic misconduct at MSU that led to the largest child sex abuse scandal in history and holding the responsible parties accountable," John Manly, a California-based attorney representing more than 150 survivors of Nassar's abuse, said via email. "Hopefully this arrest represents the beginning of the end of the end for Nassar’s enablers at Michigan State on the faculty, the administration and the Board of Trustees."

MSU Interim President John Engler moved to begin revoking Strampel's tenure in February, stating Strampel did not act with a level of professionalism MSU expects from senior officials. The Wall Street Journal reported Strampel made comments in 2016 that he did not believe those who accused Nassar of sexual assault and did not want to fire Nassar.

"Allegations have arisen that question whether his personal conduct over a long period of time met MSU’s standards," Engler said in a release. "We are sending an unmistakable message today that we will remove employees who do not treat students, faculty, staff, or anyone else in our community in an appropriate manner.” 

Strampel stepped down from his position for medical leave in December 2017 after having served as dean of the college since 2002.  

"Many of the Survivors (sic) asked 'how' and 'why' Nassar was able to do what he did for so long at MSU? (sic) Strampel may be a reason. And he may lead us to others who also enabled Nassar for over 2 (sic) decades," David Mittleman, another attorney who represents survivors of Nassar's abuse, said via email. 

Editor's note — This article was last updated March 27 at 8:45 a.m. to include statements from attorneys.

Share and discuss “Nassar's former boss arrested ahead of investigation update” on social media.