Aquilina did not call for resignations, supports survivors

<p>Judge Rosemarie Aquilina talks to Emma Ann Miller, 15, on the fifth day of Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 22, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing.&nbsp;</p>

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina talks to Emma Ann Miller, 15, on the fifth day of Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 22, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. 

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Despite reports that Rosemarie Aquilina, a judge in the Ingham County Circuit Court who sentenced ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, has called for the resignations of MSU's trustees and interim president, Aquilina said she has not called for these resignations.

After Aquilina showed her support of survivors' calls for resignations on social media, reports extrapolated that Aquilina had also called for resignations. 

Aquilina, however, said she's not going to get involved politically, she's just doing what she's been doing since the trial: supporting the survivors.

"I am supporting the girls, and I will continue to support the girls using their voices," Aquilina said.

On Jan. 24, Aquilina sentenced Nassar to 40 to 175 years in prison on seven charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. The sentencing hearing, which took place in Ingham County, lasted seven days.

She allowed Nassar's sentencing to last as long as was necessary to give time to anyone wishing to give a victim impact statement, and 156 women and girls spoke in court throughout the week.

Aquilina has since been outspoken in her support for the survivors of Nassar's abuse and their activism.

Share and discuss “Aquilina did not call for resignations, supports survivors” on social media.