Tips to stay safe during a potentially wild spring break

<p>Party-goers hangout on Sigma Chi’s lawn on Nov. 2, 2013. Fraternities all over campus hosted large parties before the game.</p>

Party-goers hangout on Sigma Chi’s lawn on Nov. 2, 2013. Fraternities all over campus hosted large parties before the game.

Spring break is the time of partying, traveling and relaxation, but staying safe during those activities is an another extremely important part of spring break.

Below are four key spring break safety tips from MSU Police Capt. Doug Monette.

Stay alert

“Stay alert. Use the buddy system. Protect your valuables,” Monette said. “Stay connected with who you’re with. Know the address of the place where you’re staying, and even the phone number.”

Knowledge of the public transportation system or local taxi companies is another way to stay safe in a potentially unfamiliar area.

Consumption of alcohol

“You don’t have to drink, it’s a choice,” Monette said. “But if you do decide to drink, drink responsibly. Have a designated driver or plan to get to the hotel or residence safely, wherever you’re staying.”

In addition, keep track of how much is consumed and where the alcohol comes from, he said.

“Never let your drink out of your sight and only accept drinks that you’ve watched get made right in front of you,” Monette said.

If someone in the group consumes too much alcohol, get them home safely, monitor their situation and call for medical help if necessary. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, the following are symptoms of alcohol poisoning: confusion, vomiting, seizures, slow breathing, irregular breathing, blue-tinged skin or pale skin, low body temperature and/or passing out and can't be awakened.

Suspicious activity 

“If you see any suspicious activity, report it to the local police,” Monette said. 

It is a good idea to be familiar with local emergency personnel contact numbers prior to arriving at the destination, Monette said.

Local laws

Know the local laws of the destination city. Some cities prohibit open containers of alcohol in certain areas, Monette said.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, prohibits alcohol on the sandy portions of the beach, as well as adjourning property, according to a letter from the Fort Lauderdale Police Department.

It is also a crime to disturb endangered sea turtles and the nests, according to the letter.

Police departments will have a frequently asked questions tab on the website. For other questions, call the area's police department for more information, Monette said.

Share and discuss “Tips to stay safe during a potentially wild spring break” on social media.