Langford delivers key performance in win against Bucknell

<p>Sophomore guard Miles Bridges (22) high fives sophomore guard Joshua Langford (1) l during the game against Penn State on Jan. 31, 2018 at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Nittany Lions 76-68.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore guard Miles Bridges (22) high fives sophomore guard Joshua Langford (1) l during the game against Penn State on Jan. 31, 2018 at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Nittany Lions 76-68. 

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

DETROIT — MSU guard Joshua Langford says you can’t lose something if it never disappeared.

So when he was asked after No. 3 MSU’s 82-78 win against 14th-seeded Bucknell Friday night at Little Caesars Arena if felt good finding his lost shot, he had trouble finding an answer. 

“I feel like in order to find something it means you have to lose it,” said Langford, a 6-foot-5 sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama. “I don’t really feel like I lost my shot because I feel like there were just times the ball wasn’t going in.”

Langford finished MSU’s NCAA Tournament opener scoring 22 points to go with 7-of-10 shooting from the floor, a triple and four rebounds in 35 minutes. It’s Langford’s first double-digit performance since he scored 16 against Illinois on Feb. 20, and his second double-figure game the in the last eight — spanning back to a 15 point game against Iowa on Feb. 6

Langford’s line was seconded to teammate Miles Bridges, who scored a game-high 29 points to go with nine boards and four assists. Langford was also instrumental in keeping the Spartans (30-4 overall) ahead 44-40 at halftime. He led MSU with 15 points the first half.

Teammates think Langford’s night was a long time coming.

“He was due for this type of game,” sophomore guard Cassius Winston said. “The amount of time he puts in the gym, his shot is going to fall. We knew it was coming. So he picked the perfect time to get it going. So we always are looking for him, always getting pin-downs. We trust him with the ball making those shots.”

Langford said he was confident things would figure itself out. It just took patience.

“I put in so much work and I know that eventually, it’s going to work out for me because that’s just how things work,” he said. “And sometimes that may not work as quickly as you want it to, but eventually if you stay focused and keep your faith, things will work out for your benefit.”

The only blemish on Langford’s night was a technical foul given with 5:38 to play, less than a minute after Bucknell forward Zach Thomas fouled out on a tech.

Langford said he was never given an explanation for the call.

“I said something to Miles,” he said. “I was telling Miles to try and get out of the way. It is what it is. We won the game.”

Spartans coach Tom Izzo couldn’t believe it either. 

“I’ll go to my grave saying there’s no way,” Izzo said. “Just because I know the kid. There’s times I wish he would get one.”

Through MSU’s first 10 games, the Spartans went 9-1 and Langford finished in double figures six times, and was averaging at least 10 points until the eight-game slump. He averaged 9.2 points coming into Friday, but his teammates think he can be the key to a successful run in March.

“Josh was playing like that earlier in the season and we were kind of unstoppable,” Bridges said. “We’ve been telling him to stay aggressive and get going and he did that for us tonight. … Anytime we needed a bucket he gave it to us.”

The Spartans are off until Sunday when they’re back at Little Caesars Arena to play No. 11 Syracuse (22-13), with the winner advancing to play in the Sweet Sixteen. Tipoff is at approximately 2:40 p.m. (CBS). 

No matter the outcome, Langford said he’ll be ready.

“We always prepare for this,” he said. “I can’t even speak for other teams but I know how great we prepare and I know how great our coaches are. And I know how we’re going to be focused because we understand this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that we get to do this.”

Share and discuss “Langford delivers key performance in win against Bucknell” on social media.