Severe snowstorm expected to hit MSU, Ingham County areas

Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a snow storm on March 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave.
Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a snow storm on March 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave. —

As students prepare for the weekend ahead, a looming snow storm might have an adverse effect on plans. 

East Lansing residents and MSU students can expect between four-to-seven inches of snow between approximately 11 p.m. Thursday evening and 12 a.m. Friday morning.

According to The National Weather Service, snowfall can be expected until late afternoon and early evening and will continue throughout the day. The snow is expected to reach up to 10 inches throughout the duration of its fall. 

The Michigan State Police released a statement and said traveling is ill-advised with "extremely dangerous during periods of heavy snowfall over the next two days."

For students who play on going home for the weekend, safe travel precautions should be put in place.

The release advises Michigan residents to, "Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep a full tank of gas and an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle. Put warm clothing, such as gloves, blankets and hats, in your kit in case you become stranded. If you do become stranded or stuck, stay inside your vehicle and wait for help.” 

MSU students should plan on leaving before nightfall and stay clear of highways until the snowfall has ceased. 

If possible, plans should be postponed. 

Share and discuss “Severe snowstorm expected to hit MSU, Ingham County areas” on social media.