East Lansing Public Library to host community discussion on Richard Spencer's visit to MSU

<p>Richard Spencer, a white nationalist, takes a brief tour of Texas A&amp;M campus before a speaking event at the Memorial Student Center on Dec. 6, 2016 in College Station, Texas.&nbsp;</p>
<p>Photo Courtesy: Ralph Barrera/Austin American-Statesman/Tribune News Service</p>

Richard Spencer, a white nationalist, takes a brief tour of Texas A&M campus before a speaking event at the Memorial Student Center on Dec. 6, 2016 in College Station, Texas. 

Photo Courtesy: Ralph Barrera/Austin American-Statesman/Tribune News Service

A public discussion regarding Richard Spencer’s imminent visit to MSU will take place at the East Lansing Public Library on Feb. 5, at 6 p.m. 

In a move that was met by controversy last month, MSU agreed to allow Spencer to speak on campus. Spencer, a white supremacist and the president of the alternative-right group National Policy Institute, will speak on March 5 in the auditorium of the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education. 

The public discussion will be hosted by Stop Spencer at Michigan State University, a coalition that plans to resist Spencer’s visit to MSU and maintains the goal of “confronting oppression in all of its forms,” according to a post on the group’s public Facebook page.

“White supremacists like Richard Spencer are overtly racist, misogynist, and homophobic and organize for the genocide of non-white people, Jewish people, and LGBT+ folks,” the event page reads. “Richard Spencer attracts violent supporters who have attacked and targeted counter-protesters, black churches, mosques, and synagogues."

MSU initially denied an August 2017 request by Cameron Padgett for Spencer to visit and speak on campus. During that same month, a lawsuit was filed against MSU by Padgett’s attorney, Kyle Bristow, for not allowing Spencer audience at the time.  

Share and discuss “East Lansing Public Library to host community discussion on Richard Spencer's visit to MSU ” on social media.