Day 2 of Nassar's Eaton sentencing: 36 victims speak, father lunges at Nassar

The second day of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar’s sentencing in Eaton County took place Friday.

Nassar pleaded guilty to three counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County in November 2017. Two victims were between the ages of 13 and 15, and the third was under 13, according to the plea agreement.

Thirty statements were given in court on Wednesday, the first day of sentencing. Thirty-six statements were given on day two.

Pictures of some of the women and girls during their gymnastics career were projected in the courtroom. 

"Sometimes I think my dad hurts more than me," Katie Black said during her victim impact statement. "You didn't just hurt us, you hurt everyone who cares about us.”

Four parents of survivors gave impact statements Friday. Many parents expressed guilt for allowing Nassar’s abuse to affect their children. 

Father of Victim 210, who remained anonymous and had her statement read by an assistant prosecutor, gave his own statement. Victim 210’s father was often present in the room during Nassar’s procedures.

"I will carry this guilt for the rest of my life," he said.

The father of three survivors, Randall Margraves, asked Cunningham for “five minutes alone in a locked room” with Nassar. 

When Judge Cunningham acknowledged she couldn’t allow such a thing, Margraves rushed to Nassar’s desk. Margraves was blocked by Nassar’s attorney and immediately detained by police. 

“Give me one minute with that bastard,” Margraves said while being detained. 

Margraves was tried for contempt during a break in victim impact statements. Cunningham did not charge Margraves, but there is an ongoing investigation by Eaton County Police into the incident. 

He also referenced Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse.

“Rachael, you are truly the five-star general of the army of survivors,” Victim 210 father’s said. 

Denhollander gave the last victim impact statement of Nassar’s Eaton County trial. She also gave an impact statement during the Ingham County sentencing. 

Denhollander asked Eaton County Circuit Court Judge Cunningham to give Nassar the maximum 40-year sentence per charge.

“Those little girls, wherever and whoever they may be, are worth everything,” Denhollander said. “They are worth the full weight of justice.”

The mother of Megan Simon, a Nassar victim who died in 2012, said her daughter often looked “awkward and anxious” during procedures.

Simon believes when Megan got to heaven, she had a “long conversation” with God about Nassar. 

“You are a disgusting, brutal, inhumane beast,” Simon said of Nassar. “You, Larry, are a piss poor excuse of a man.”

Survivors’ impact statements included references to MSU and the mishandling of Nassar’s case.

Kathleen Lovellette said it is difficult to wear Spartan apparel following Nassar’s abuse.

"Today, I'm sad to be a Spartan,” Lovellette said.

nassarday27

Black, an MSU neuroscience sophomore, said she should be studying for exams next week, but felt the need to attend Nassar’s sentencing.

Nassar’s abuse began for Black at age 11, following a gymnastics injury.

Black’s father attended MSU, and the university was her “dream school,” she said.

"I love my university, but I don't love how it's handling Nassar," Black said.

Larissa Boyce, who also spoke at Ingham County sentencing, asked Nassar to reveal who was involved in enabling his abuse. She said Nassar not only changed the lives of victims, but their family members as well.

“Together we are a strong army, which is changing the world forever," Boyce said of fellow survivors. 

Common themes from Friday’s impact statements were trust in Nassar’s status as a doctor, his manipulation, a lack of consent and possible mishandling on MSU’s part.

“It should not have taken over 150 voices for the world to listen,” Victim 202, who remained anonymous, said in their statement. “Your time is up.”

Share and discuss “Day 2 of Nassar's Eaton sentencing: 36 victims speak, father lunges at Nassar” on social media.