E.L. City Clerk steps down, new clerk to begin Jan. 17

<p>Headshot of MSU alumna Jennifer Shuster, who will begin as the East Lansing City Clerk starting Jan. 17. Marie Wicks, the former city clerk for 12 years, stepped down. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing.</p>

Headshot of MSU alumna Jennifer Shuster, who will begin as the East Lansing City Clerk starting Jan. 17. Marie Wicks, the former city clerk for 12 years, stepped down. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing.

After 12 years working for the city of East Lansing, City Clerk Marie Wicks is stepping down.

Wicks will start a new job with the State of Michigan Bureau of Elections, after her last day with the city on Friday, according to a press release.

She served as city clerk for six years and ran 16 elections, according to the release.

“I have greatly appreciated the professional opportunities afforded me during my 12 years with the City of East Lansing, particularly my more than six years as city clerk," Wicks said in the release. "Elections are the hallmark of our democracy and I look forward to providing training and assistance to election officials in my next venture."

MSU alumna Jennifer Shuster will be the new East Lansing City Clerk, and she will start on Jan. 17.

Shuster will leave her role as chief deputy county clerk for Ingham County for the job. She is also serving her first year as the mayor of Leslie, according to the release.

“I have no doubt that this community will be well served by my capable and highly competent successor, Jennifer Shuster, and I'm sure she'll hit the ground running,” Wicks said.

Shuster is certified to administer elections and train workers through the state of Michigan.

“As a graduate of MSU, East Lansing has always held a special place in my heart. I am honored to have the opportunity to serve as the new East Lansing city clerk and I look forward to working alongside the dedicated staff at the City of East Lansing,” Shuster said. “Marie Wicks has been an inspiration to me since I began working in elections at Ingham County. She leaves behind a high level of excellence that I will strive to maintain.”

Share and discuss “E.L. City Clerk steps down, new clerk to begin Jan. 17” on social media.