More than 2,700 students to graduate Friday and Saturday

A student bikes past Breslin Center on Oct. 16, 2017. Breslin Center was recently renovated.
A student bikes past Breslin Center on Oct. 16, 2017. Breslin Center was recently renovated. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Graduation commencement ceremonies will be held for nearly 2,000 undergraduate students and nearly 800 graduate students Friday and Saturday at the Breslin Center.

The first of the undergraduate ceremonies will begin Saturday at 10 a.m., where Cynthia Pasky, CEO and founder of Strategic Staffing Solutions, or S3, will speak. Pasky, whose business is based in Detroit, is in the Michigan Women’s Hall of Fame. 

Priya Balasubramaniam, vice president of iPhone operations at Apple Inc., will speak at the second ceremony beginning at 2 p.m. Pasky and Balasubramaniam will both receive honorary doctorates. Both ceremonies will be two hours long. 

"It's kind of cool that we have two top female executives speaking," MSU Media Communications Manager Kristen Parker said. "We're really proud of that, so I think that's important."

Commencement for advanced degrees will be held Friday at 3:30 p.m. Michael VanRooyen, director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, will speak and receive an honorary doctorate. The ceremony will last an hour and a half.

The number of graduates is about par for the course in recent years for winter graduations, Parker said.

A complimentary shuttle service will be available to transport attendees from campus parking areas to Breslin Center. For more information on parking and transportation, visit the commencement website here.

Share and discuss “More than 2,700 students to graduate Friday and Saturday” on social media.