3 takeaways from MSU's 17-7 win over Maryland

<p>Junior running back LJ Scott (3) is tackled by a Maryland defender during the game against Maryland on Nov. 18, 2017 at Spartan Stadium.</p>

Junior running back LJ Scott (3) is tackled by a Maryland defender during the game against Maryland on Nov. 18, 2017 at Spartan Stadium.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

Through the rain, wintry mix and heavy snow, the Spartans’ run game rebounded from a dismal outing last weekend against Ohio State as No. 17 MSU defeated Maryland 17-7 Saturday in the Spartans‘ last home game of the season. 

Here are three key takeaways from the win:

Rejuvenated rushing attack

After being held to a season-low 64 yards rushing against Ohio State last weekend, the Spartans’ rushing attack came back with vengeance Saturday against the Terrapins.

On their first drive of the game, the Spartans ran the ball nine times for 60 yards, with LJ Scott capping off the drive by running the ball into the end zone on a 2-yard touchdown run for the first points of the game. 

At halftime, the Spartans had 198 yards of total offense, with all but eight of those yards being earned on the ground.

On an option play in the first quarter, Lewerke selected to run the ball from the Maryland 25-yard line. Lewerke managed to evade defenders and ran into the end zone to put the Spartans up by two possessions. 

The 25-yard touchdown run put Lewerke over 400 yards rushing this season. He is just the seventh signal-caller in Spartan history to eclipse 400+ yards rushing in a single season.

MSU finished with 271 yards rushing, while the Terrapins were held to just 83 yards.

Scott recorded a game-high 147 yards on the ground and a touchdown, and Gerald Holmes, in his last home game at Spartan Stadium, registered 64 yards rushing. 

Lewerke and cold Weather

Lewerke, an Arizona native, struggled in the passing game Saturday.

While the weather conditions certainly were a factor, Lewerke went into the locker room after the first half completing just 1 of 10 passing attempts, an 8-yard pass to Darrell Stewart Jr. in the first quarter. 

The second half wasn't any better, as the sophomore signal-caller had just one completion and finished the game 2-for-14 for 20 yards while adding 63 yards on the ground.

Spartans’ domination in rain and snow

This season, MSU has endured two rain delays and a game highlighted by monsoon-like conditions against Michigan in Ann Arbor. 

In all three of those rain-stricken games, the Spartans came out on top, unofficially recording a 3-0 record in the rain.

On Saturday, what started out as rain, turned into a wintry mix and then soon transitioned into snow, which left Spartan fans flocking to the exits.

But through it all, MSU reigned superior and improved to 8-3 on the season. 

Share and discuss “3 takeaways from MSU's 17-7 win over Maryland” on social media.