Sunday, May 12, 2024

MSUPD alerts campus of sexual assault report in Hubbard Hall

MSU Police received a report that a student was sexually assaulted in Hubbard Hall Thursday by a person known to the alleged victim, according to a release from the department. MSUPD is investigating the incident.

According to the release, MSUPD is supplying resources to assist the alleged victim. The department said it will also take further action to maintain the safety and security of individuals near the university.

MSUPD sent the message to "heighten" public awareness and to enable individuals to take action to possibly prevent similar crimes from happening.

"The Michigan State University community is a strong one, and we have a collective responsibility to support people who have experienced sexual assault and or to step in if we are in a position to prevent sexual assault," the release said. "For more information on reporting sexual violence or misconduct, and how to support survivors, please visit police.msu.edu."

MSUPD is urging anybody who notices a potentially unsafe situation for another person to intervene or call for assistance. 

"While it is always the victim’s decision to report crime to the police, reporting is one of the most effective tools we have to prevent crime in the future," the release said.

"Although you can never completely protect yourself from becoming a victim of any crime, you can reduce your risk of being targeted by walking in groups, avoiding isolated or dark areas, and trusting your instincts. If a situation does not feel right, it probably is not."

Cpt. Doug Monette said MSUPD could not comment further on the issue, as it's an open investigation, but urges individuals to call police immediately if they observe suspicious activity.

Share and discuss “MSUPD alerts campus of sexual assault report in Hubbard Hall” on social media.