Nassar Facebook profile shows support for Paterno

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno briefly answers a few questions before leaving his house for practice on November 8, 2011, in State College, Pa. (David Swanson/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)
Penn State football coach Joe Paterno briefly answers a few questions before leaving his house for practice on November 8, 2011, in State College, Pa. (David Swanson/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS) —

When ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar was active on Facebook, he was a part of an "I Support Coach Joe Paterno" Facebook group.

Paterno was the head coach of Penn State's football team from 1966 to 2011. He was terminated from his position amidst the Penn State child sex abuse scandal. The scandal surrounds Jerry Sandusky, Penn State's former assistant football coach, who was charged and convicted on 52 counts of child molestation.

An investigation in 2012 found that Paterno knew about and covered up Sandusky's sexual abuse of young boys.

Nassar's Facebook account is listed as one of 344 members in the "I Support Joe Paterno" group. The account hasn't been active recently — the last post in the group was on March 24 — but the links and articles posted have all related back to the Sandusky case and the idea that Paterno wasn't involved or aware of the abuse. 

"The WHOLE thing was a fraud," as one post puts it.

The group was created Nov. 8, 2011, but Nassar joined the group on Jan. 22, 2012.

Although Nassar's Facebook has been wiped clean of posts, photos, friends and other information, traces of activity can still be found.

Stalkscan.com is a Facebook searching tool that allows users to see all of someone's public information on Facebook. By searching the link of a person's profile page, users can see any content that is "public" and associated with that person.

Being friends on Facebook with Nassar may warrant different search results, but the average person who isn't friends with him on Facebook will see plenty of positive testimonies from patients, their families and community members.

"There are no words to duly describe this amazing man," one comment reads. "Thanks Larry, for all that you do for so many."

Another comment: "He is the VERY best doctor, as well as the kindest, most giving, and thoughtful person you will ever meet."

Stalkscan.com also reveals posts, photos and videos of Nassar's role as a gymnastics coach. He is tagged in photos from events put on by his foundation, Gymnastics Doctor's Autism Foundation, which has since been found to have been non-compliant with Michigan law since 2014, and he is also tagged in photos with patients.

John Geddert, American gymnastics coach and founder of Twistars Gymnastics Club, tagged Nassar in a post in 2014.

"TBT — He has been a part our our program since 1988, first as a hungry to learn athletic trainer, then a med student, a resident, a doctor and now as the USAG Team Physician. The busiest man on earth but still takes time to volunteer his time at Twistars. THANKS Larry G Nassar (for doing our camp talks for parents) and for everything else you do," Geddert wrote.

The accompanying picture is of a young Nassar with two women. They're in a gym, and Nassar appears to be wrapping the woman on the right's knee. 

Geddert and Twistars Gymnastics Club are both named as co-defendants in federal lawsuits.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing over 140 women and girls under the guise of medical treatment. He was arrested in December 2016 on charges of possessing “at least 37,000” images of child pornography to which he has pleaded guilty. His sentencing for these charges is set for Dec. 7. 

Nassar additionally faces criminal sexual assault charges in Ingham County and Eaton County. Trials for these charges will begin later this month. He is also a defendant in a number of civil cases, many alongside MSU.

Share and discuss “Nassar Facebook profile shows support for Paterno” on social media.