FINAL: MSU, weather down Maryland on Senior Day 17-7

Senior offensive lineman Brian Allen (65) prepares to snap the ball to sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) during the game against Maryland on Nov. 18, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 17-7.
Senior offensive lineman Brian Allen (65) prepares to snap the ball to sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) during the game against Maryland on Nov. 18, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 17-7. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

The Spartans and fans had to endure another game where the weather unforgivingly played a role — but no matter. MSU took care of business winning its eight game of the year, defeating Maryland 17-7.

Though this time, the rain turned into snow as November weather dictated the conditions.

But fortunately for the fans sticking out the weather, MSU racked up another win to quell the pains of 3-9. The Spartans improved to 8-3 on the year, 6-2 in the Big Ten.

Quarterbacks stifled

The passing game never really got going, barely getting off the ground. Quarterback Brian Lewerke had just one pass completed by halftime, totaling just eight yards.

Maryland quarterback Max Bortenschlager wasn't much better, finishing the game 4 for 10 for a paltry 15 yards.

Lewerke finished just 2 of 14 for 20 yards.

MSU running game thrives

While Lewerke did struggle through the air, the Spartans as a whole ran the ball down Maryland's throat.

Lewerke's longest run of the game came on a 25-yard touchdown run to put MSU up two scores. He kept the ball on an option then scampered home on the first play of the second quarter.

The quarterback finished with five rushes for 63 yards and a touchdown.

Elsewhere, tailback LJ Scott had a solid game, rushing for 147 yards on 29 attempts. He scored MSU's first touchdown of the day to begin scoring.

Defense stands strong

By halftime and 30 minutes into the snowy bout, the Spartan defense had a shutout brewing. Maryland had only picked up three first downs in the opening half.

Though the Spartans wouldn't be able to force Maryland into zero points by the end of the game. The Terrapins were able to orchestrate a scoring drive in the fourth quarter, capped off by a four-yard rush by running back Lorenzo Harrison III.

Spartan seniors

As the Spartans ended their regular season schedule at Spartan Stadium, several key seniors said goodbye to their home turf.

Senior captains Brian Allen and Chris Frey were the last two called out during the festivities. They were joined by others including Damion Terry, Demetrius Cooper and Shane Jones.

Up next

The Spartans finish their season on the road, visiting Rutgers during Thanksgiving weekend. That game is also set for a 4 p.m. kickoff as MSU looks to end the season on a high note.

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU, weather down Maryland on Senior Day 17-7” on social media.