Notebook: Joe Bachie named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Junior wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr. (25) catches the ball during the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10.
Junior wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr. (25) catches the ball during the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

After an upset road win over then-No. 7 Michigan Saturday, the Spartans are 4-1 and ranked in the AP Top 25 poll for the first time this season.

The Spartans, now ranked No. 21 in the nation, will go back on the road to face Minnesota on Saturday. With seven games remaining in the regular season, the Spartans are just two games away from bowl eligibility. 

On Tuesday, head coach Mark Dantonio recapped the Spartans’ win over the Wolverines and previewed MSU’s upcoming game against Minnesota.

Here are a few key takeaways: 

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: After recording double-digit tackles for the third time this season last Saturday against Michigan and hauled in an interception, sophomore linebacker Joe Bachie was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week on Monday.

In the Spartans' win over the Wolverines, Bachie registered 10 tackles, including six unassisted, one sack, one interception, one forced fumble, one tackle for loss and a pass breakup.

“I think Joe Bachie is on his way to being an outstanding MIKE linebacker for us,” Dantonio said on Tuesday. “I said from day one, even talking about him last year, he's an outstanding athlete. He can run and do the things that needs to be done at this level at that position.”

Through five games, Bachie leads the team in tackles with 44, including 18 unassisted, and has five tackles for loss, two sacks, one interception, a pass breakup, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Sophomore safety David Dowell also garnered recognition after Saturday’s win as he was named Week Six Rose Bowl Game Big Ten Player of the Week after intercepting Michigan’s John O’Korn twice and recovering a fumble in the win over the Wolverines. 

CHANGES TO DEPTH CHART: The depth chart leading up to Saturday’s game against Minnesota featured several key changes.

David Beedle has not played in the last two games for MSU at right guard due to injury, giving the reins to redshirt freshman Kevin Jarvis. 

The depth chart this week lists David Beedle “OR” Kevin Jarvis as the starter at RG.

Other changes include Demetrius Cooper (defensive end), David Dowell (free safety) and Justin Layne (cornerback) listed as starters in their respective positions.

DEVYN SALMON: Dantonio announced on Tuesday that fifth-year senior defensive end Devyn Salmon left the program around three of four weeks ago.

The 6-foot-2, 327-pound Florida native played in the Spartans’ season opener against Bowling Green but did not see the field since the win over the Falcons.

Salmon, who moved back to the defensive line in the spring after two seasons as center, played in eight games in his career at MSU.

Share and discuss “Notebook: Joe Bachie named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week” on social media.